Need some input on a product I'm designing

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am designing a product for the fly fishing industry and am building my test pilot as we speak.

I want to know the following:

What tools you typically have at hand?

How many thread spools you would keep in front of you in a session?

Are you happy with pegs to hold thread spools?

What items do you wish you had holders for while tying?
(bobbin, needle, whip finisher,ets.)

Would you rather have a tool holder/tray, or holes in your tying station for tool storage?

What other miscellaneous tool/ devices would you like to have at your finger tips?

Any thing you would want to add to this would be great. I can't reveal anything about this product yet because it is totally new and nothing like it on the market. I have a potential investor for the patent as well. If I had spoken my idea with you on this please refrain from posting any details, Thanks.

Thanks in advance for the input.

For tools, drill holes in a piece of 2X4 and be done with it. If need be take a paper hole punch, punch foam dots from a flat foam to line the bottom of each hole to protect scissor points. Looks good, costs practically nothing, stable yet portable.

For spools, the thread racks from the craft store are ok, I was given one, but frankly you are better off keeping these out of the light and dust if you have a large collection, so a drawer is best, or a couple of rows in a tray tackle box or similar. Nylon threads like Danville, Rumpf and UTC are vulnerable to light. Waxed thread attracts dust and most are waxed. If you use them all the time probably doesn't matter too much, though.

Hope that helped.

What size holes are you talkling for drilling. I plan on haveing some pegs to hold 3 spools of thread each. Some counter suck holes for bead storage as well. And some tool/feather holders.

What else am I forgetting?

DGC, this is not a home project, I am going to try and sell this product and turn a decent profit. I personally can see the ease of you wood block Idea but this thing will be a conversation piece and very functional. All I can say about it. LOL

i already have an oasis tying bench that holds quite a few spools, tools and cement bottles. what more could i ask for?

i think these products have already been designed. some need only slight modifications to be personalized to fit the user.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&q=fly+tying+benches&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Pn1IUbePHortrQfQ5oGACQ&biw=1250&bih=630&sei=QX1IUajaNMfLrQfes4CgAg

you would have to design some really kick *** product that nobody else has come up with to make tyers switch their particular setups for yours.

show us some of your designs for better feedback.

LOL, nothing will be released until i get the patent, and it is not even close to what you posted. It is not a station like this at all. it is more of a mobile set up. Trust me it is going to be a really "kick *** product" to quote you.

I am thinking also of some sort of hanger to have for hanging hackle pliers.

^this

Where did I say will be the next best thing to sliced bread. Just said there is nothing like it out there, and it will be pretty "kick ***"

mike_richardson wrote:
Where did I say will be the next best thing to sliced bread. Just said there is nothing like it out there, and it will be pretty "kick ***"

Ok, I'll edit my original post..sorry.

How's this...
Just curious why you need input/ideas from us for something that you already think it will be pretty "kick ***" & there is nothing like it out there?

I just wish you'd stop cluttering up the fly tying forum with stuff like this, events, & posts about your old vise to be honest

i screwed a 10 cent cup holder onto the side of my tying bench to hold hackle pliers. why would i need a special bracket?

d37f2e95-cd82-4df6-9a7f-d525917f4be6_145.jpg

Sorry to clutter up your forum. Some posts are not soley for the intention of providing information.

mike_richardson wrote:
Sorry to clutter up your forum. Some posts are not soley for the intention of providing information.

This is the furthest thing from what was intended. Just pointing out the last time I checked we had an events forum. Everything isn't an attack on you. I probably overreacted, same disdain I have for twitter and facebook and posting every idle thought. That's my problem not yours. Carry on.

It should have cup holders and racing stripes. Racing stripes make everything they are on look badass.

Instead of racing stripes Ill paint it like a trout.

Swanson, I did not mean that with mallice in anyway, and did not take it as an attack. I look at online forums as a community not just an information "highway if you will" If it bothers other I will stop posting things like that.

Nfrechet, that is similar to the bracket at what i had in mind. I am a mechanical designer so we always over desribe out intentions, and i probably say bracket 50 times a day. I was not however thinking of the same idea and I think yours will be much more cost effective.

Thanks for the constructive advice so far.

Or how about trouts with racing stripes?

A mini icebox to keep additional drinks cold coupled a cup holder that is sunken in the icebox to keep the beverage cold would be a nice add.

I like the chilled beer holder idea. Thats a must

A cigar ash tray, i pod dock with speakers, and blue tooth. blue tooth makes every thing better.

the ipod dock should be situated that one can view you tube videos while tying. this way your mobile tying station can support instructional video at a hotel or in the car on destination trips. Enclose the whole mobile station in a tackle box style case for easy travel. and racing stripes

All great ideas but a little much for what I am going for.

Thanks again for the input.

I don't want anything that might serve to organize my tying tools and accessories and give me a more clear idea of where things are.

If I can't find something, I buy another one or go without.

If you do it this way, you will eventually end up with enough tools that you'll always be able to find at least one of what you are looking for. I call it The Saturation Method. At any given time, I have: 3-8 pair of scissors, 2-7 pair of hackle pliers, 3-5 bodkins, 2-3 .22 caliber bore brush attachments (for picking out dubbed bodies) and 10-30 of those little fused mono loops they sell for flossing under dental work (for threading bobbins), all on my tying table even though most of them may be underneath a clump of marabou or an India neck at any given time..

Additionally, this is a good way to discover what tools you never needed in the first place. For me, this included things like a hair stacker and a whip finisher. I bought them and then I lost them and then discovered it didn't matter because I never needed them anyway. So, losing tools is also a good way to save money in addition to ensuring you always have new, sharp scissors, etc.

The Saturation Method also works with toothbrushes, BTW.

Good Luck with your idea though...

Back