More Creatures of the Night!

F

Fishidiot

In recent years I've transitioned most of my large streamer flies away from clouser eye dumbbell weights and on to keel weights utilizing heavy mono and beads or slip sinkers. Here's an eel fly I'm eager to try in the salt this year - esp around some jetty or rock piles at night. Eel flies have treated me well over the years - this is partly from watching New England surf sharpies nail stripers on the ever popular black Sluggos. Will be interesting see how this guy performs - should get a workout at the salt jam.

Attachments

• Eel1.jpg
    Eel1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 8
I have used a black or olive rabbit strip eel for years. they work on jettys. I use a lead core head to get down and swim them around the rocks........ caution when bass hit them hold on !! LOL

Attachments

• eels 004.jpg
    eels 004.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
  • eels 002.jpg
    eels 002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1
I also make a few long zonker eel patterns. black and olive. I have yet to really fish a spot where I want to use them but have a few in mind. I also do some epoxy ones with a lot of led.

I like the eels! FI, aside from riding hook up...any other reason for the keel style weighting? Ability to add more weight? I have yet to give it a shot.

most times you are fishing them in inlets around rocks the keel style or dumbbell eyes (mine) invert the hook keeping it out of the rocks and seaweed. I weight the shanks with 0.30 lead and add a dumbbell eye to mine so the hook flips. done some weedless style to, if I am fishing back channels in the sedge islands.

One thing I have learned is to add a hook in the middle. stripers have a tendency to grab an eel in the middle and swallow whole. the flies pictured will be getting a 2nd hook.

game changer eel, 2 hooks.

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
What pound test leader or line are you using for the stinger hook? Are you just doing a clinch knot to the shank of the hook or just tying it down to the line with thread. I would assume a knot because I would not trust tying thread to hold with a decent bass on.

Marc

What pound test leader or line are you using for the stinger hook? Are you just doing a clinch knot to the shank of the hook or just tying it down to the line with thread. I would assume a knot because I would not trust tying thread to hold with a decent bass on.

which fly are you talking about ??

If it is my last one there is no knot the fly is made from 250 lb. S.S. welding wire links and the rear hook is placed on one of the links. there ain't a bass large enough to pull this apart. I would use this wire setup on a shark and not worry. if the hooks would not bend could pull the rocks off of a jetty...lol

Love that game changer Sandfly.

They would work well at the point on the hook, get them down fast and deep where the drop off is. nice flies.

Back