micro buggers

bushwacker

bushwacker

I've heard some of you guys mention micro buggers before. I guess they're easier for smaller fish to take. What size hooks do you find most productive. I'm asking because I'm planning on targeting small brookies soon. Thanks :)

10-12 is as small as I go on buggers. I've had natives eat an size 6 though.

I tie them on a size 14 and usually with a beadhead. Tie them sparsely as well - I usually end up throwing too much hackle or chenile or herl on them, which makes them look nice, but with the smaller hook, and all the material in the way, I usually end up missing more fish than I catch. If I tied with less material, and a more exposed hook, I think I'd hook them better, so the next batch will be sparser. I've added peacock herl in place of chenile, with good success.

See this link for a recipe.

Kevin

The guys at the backwater angler on the gunpowder in maryland recommend them heavily for fishing down there. (www.backwaterangler.com). They are up there with some of the most helpful fly shop staff I've met. If you're in the area or planning a trip, stop in. Otherwise, shoot them an email and see what tips they can offer. You can probably get some info and a few flies mail ordered.

In an industry dominated by crappy websites, theirs is a joy to browse, so check them out.

I tie most of mine for trout in 14. I've found it hard to fit all the materials on such a small hook, so I've been known to cheat and tie with estaz and no palmered hackle.

Boyer

Small buggers catch - really small fish! I will stick to a size 4. If the fish isn't big enough to take that - then that's fine with me.

I tie and use unweighted 12s and 14s for smaller freestone creeks. They work well on brookies.

flyeyeeye wrote:
Small buggers catch - really small fish! I will stick to a size 4. If the fish isn't big enough to take that - then that's fine with me.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, but keep telling yourself that-more fish for me! :)

Boyer

most of the buggers i tie are size 10 and 12's. I do have a few 8's but none bigger. I guess I'm a fan of "mezzo-buggers" However I may just try a few 14's for the heck of it.

Boyer, to each their own. I prefer to catch the bitties on dries.

tomgamber wrote:
Biggest fish I ever caught in Idaho was on a dry...size 24.

My biggest trout ever was on a size 18 scud, and plenty of big ones were brought to hand on midges. I've caught some hogs with small buggers too.

flyeyeeye, while it's true that small fish won't hit a really big bugger, you're promoting a fallacy if your claim is that big fish won't hit small ones.

flyeyeeye wrote:
Boyer, to each their own. I prefer to catch the bitties on dries.

I wasn't saying I like the bitties, I was saying you'd be surprised how small a fly a big fish will eat and how often said big fish will swim right past a big fly. This has only been from my experience and actual mileage may vary:)

Boyer

I like using black and green micro buggers when nothing else is working -- it seems like the size (and their look) often entice the fish when nothing else is working

i tied a micro that looks like a royal coachman sorta i used red hackle and white marabou tailwith a peacockherl body looks nice wonder if it will catch anything?

its definatly a fly that will catch a fisherman.... its purdy :-o

what color green olive?

image1.jpg

orginal1.jpg

Size 16 and 18, theyre amazing.

mute, what material are the bodies of those buggers constructed of...is the whole thing maraboo?

Yea its all marabou

im willing to bet that top bugger could pass for an iso nymph if tied in the right color

Back