Little Brown Stones

ian_brown

ian_brown

How do you tie little brown stone dries? This year I've been using dark CDC & elk with modest success, but I'm sure there's a better imitation.

I tie little brown stone dries with two splayed tails made from brown saddle hackle. A brown dubbed body. A dark brown hen hackle lightly coated with head cement, or a brown micro web wing clipped to shape and tied flat over the abdoman, and sparse brown hackle wound and clipped on the bottom.

He's a great article to give you insight on the creatures and how to fish them. HTH.

http://www.westfly.com/feature-article/0001/feature_110.php

Thanks for posting the westfly site. I learned alot of my entymology from that site years ago, but it's probably been a couple years since I've visited. It looks like they have made a lot of improvements. I may have to spend some free time there as we approach the hatch season.

Yeah Jack; it’s a great site. I think it was you that originally turned me on to it.

Ian,

It’s worth tying a few early brown and black stone dries and keeping them in your box. Since stoneflies hatch/transform on land dries are not always that effective. During egg-laying though, the fish may get on them. IMO, the biggest problem with the early stones is they hatch when the water temp is very low and the fish usually aren’t too active, and there never seems to be many on the surface to interest the trout enough to rise.

With respect to stoneflies, what are really worth the space in you box are yellow sallies, the bright green and yellow stones the hatch later in the spring. I’ve had some great days fishing these flies on Penns, both Fishing Creeks, and some Catskill and Pocono streams. I tie them the same way. Splayed tails, dubbed body, flat wing and trimmed hackle. I use a translucent “Fly Film” wing, color it with a pen, and use some a little deer hair as an underwing.

The bigger stones are best imitated by a stimmie type fly or an elk hair caddis type fly of the proper color and size. Good luck.

Attachments

• yellow sally.jpg
    yellow sally.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
  • little greens.jpg
    little greens.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 3
afish- Great website thanks for the link they show some really good patterns. I will have to give some of those a try!

When we were in the Smokies, the Little Yellow Sallies were on. The local shop had a tie that was more effective for me than any of the others I wasted money on. Here is the pic and description:

f0359.jpg

Overley's Headlight Sally - Yellow
A great pattern to imitate the little yellow stonefly, a.k.a. Yellow Sally. This fly rides low in the water for a more realistic look. CDC keeps the fly floating and the parachute post makes it easy to see.
History Note: Pattern originated by Steve Overley.

Tied By: Umpqua

Back