Little Black Stonefly Nymph

I

InTheMend

This is a quick post, I just saw the latest addition in my favorite fly tying videos, and this one looks like a winner, as showcased at the end of the video. Made by Tightline Productions, who in my opinion, have the clearest, best produced videos on the net. Check out their other videos also, they are all great. Watch and enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/60000673

or on Youtube at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9EqQliR4C0&lc=IFDWbbWMz5_ARpyLuXk9KpLLycdK39M8fG9Gm9gFdgs

problem is the little black stone is not black until adult. its a brown to creamish color.

I didn't know that, however as you saw, it does catch fish.

Also think the fly in the video is a bit more bulky that the naturals in my neck of the woods

Same here, but sometimes that isn't always a bad thing. Also you can't get any smaller body while still using the realistic stretch-tubbing.

Sandfly is, of course, right about the color. See here for an example: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/439
The fact that the fly catches fish does not mean that it is a good match for the natural. I think that most of the flys we use when we think these nymphs are active, most of which are black, are realy just reasonable attractor patterns. On the other hand, the posted pattern is a nice and simple one that looks like a fish catcher.
Mike.

Here's one tied on a sz 14 Tiemco 5263. There's lots of choices for small/micro tubing - this is small D-rib.

Attachments

• LBS1.jpg
    LBS1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the tips and advice. It is not my fly, I only posted it because I love how well done the videos are. Now that I am thinking about it, there were a bunch of the " Natural " colored black stones the other day, along with plenty of baetis on the LL.

Here is a pattern I've been working on for these nymphs. It's not as simple but avoids plastic (a personal obsession). Tied on a #16 mustad 37160.
Capniidae_1.JPG

mike,
I really liked that one, saw it on the other forum. have you tried it in the east branch perk. ?

sandfly wrote:
mike,
I really liked that one, saw it on the other forum. have you tried it in the east branch perk. ?

Thanks Sandfly, I'm glad you like it. I don't fish the perk much, and haven't tried this pattern there. I did have some success on Valley Creek with it, and considering my usual luck on Valley I thought it was promising although I don't think I have seen a little black stone there.
I'll be tying it at Lancaster next week and will try and put together a SBS after that if anyone is interested in the pattern.
Mike.

Had a hatch at Neshanock today of these, not big, but thanks to the info above from frequent tyer, I threw on a sulfur nymph, and proceeded to catch a handful including a nice sucker.

FrequentTyer wrote:
sandfly wrote:
mike,

I'll be tying it at Lancaster next week and will try and put together a SBS after that if anyone is interested in the pattern.
Mike.
Mike, do you know where you'll be set up at the show? Any type of sign maybe, I'd like to come by and say hello while I'm there.

Mike
An sbs would be great ,I think alot of guys would like to see it

I like Heritage-Angler's version much better. I hate those rubber legs used for antenna and tail, way to long and bulky.

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Had a hatch at Neshanock today of these, not big, but thanks to the info above from frequent tyer, I threw on a sulfur nymph, and proceeded to catch a handful including a nice sucker.

Those suckers can help fix a skunking, but sometimes when the fish are rising they are darn near impossible to keep off your flies in the right lies. Neshannock is just full of them.

Grannoms on the neshannock are just around the corner!

Great tie frequenttyer. What's the shell back made of?

I believe a saw one today, it was smaller than most of the stones I saw hatching. But we did get quite a few this morning, very crowded though in the few hours I was there.

The nymphs are a bit more stocky then the dries, on the dries you could tie the body with thread and not even dub it, they are that skinny. I tie my early stones sparse and do fine with them.

had one on house today chaz-----sooooon very soon...

so im not crazy sandfly??

Back