Light Weight spinner Streamers

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I want to tie some very light weight "spinners" and I don't mean the ones that represent the stage in the fly mate and die cycle. I mean the ones many of us may have cast with a spinning rod before we became enlightened fly fisherman. But I want to tie light weight ones as sometimes, the water is real muddy and you need some vibration and I have seen them work when other offers have not.
So, I have blades and hinges. What I need are the actual shafts like the ones in my attachment. Anyone know where I can find these?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 22
Have you tried Jann's netcraft?

cut fly off tippet.
stick blade on clevis.
thread clevis on tippet.
thread bead on tippet.
tie tippet to fly.
fish.

its not rocket science.

I have had a Cabela's spinner maker for years. I can make these for you. Let me know how many and what length.

You could make them very easily with a spool of wire from a craft store any size and color you want.

craft store wire is to soft and flexes plus its not straight enough.

, get wire from janns net craft. that's where I get mine for tying spinner flies. you can cut them to lenth. get the lightest wire. make sure you place a bead between the clevis and twist at hook end or it will not spin.

piano wire

GOOGLE "lure making supplies"

afishinado wrote:
gfen wrote:
cut fly off tippet.
stick blade on clevis.
thread clevis on tippet.
thread bead on tippet.
tie tippet to fly.
fish.

its not rocket science.

It's not FFing....either. Joining the tour?

Attachments

• G & Friends.jpg
    G & Friends.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
afishinado wrote:
gfen wrote:
cut fly off tippet.
stick blade on clevis.
thread clevis on tippet.
thread bead on tippet.
tie tippet to fly.
fish.

its not rocket science.

It's not FFing....either.

so.

ebroesicke wrote:
afishinado wrote:
gfen wrote:
cut fly off tippet.
stick blade on clevis.
thread clevis on tippet.
thread bead on tippet.
tie tippet to fly.
fish.

its not rocket science.

It's not FFing....either.

so.

One can fish spinners or props or worms or minnies or rubber baits on a fly rod in open reg water, but it aint fly-fishing. Just a statement of [d]fact[/d] opinion.

I'll fish spinner flies from time to time myself, usually in the springtime. They're deadly fish catchers. I make mine with heavy wire (about 100lb) designed for lure making. Cabelas and some other stores sell sections of wire for this purpose that have pre-made eyes. Sandfly is right, you don't want to use regular wire as it is too soft.
I'd also add: use good quality blades. In my experience, very small conventional spinner blades do not work well, esp if they're thin metal. If you are going to use these on small flies, I'd recommend propeller type blades.

a small gold willow leave is killer on these setups. put a red bead behind the spinner blade.

I agree with afish, there is a line , albeit a movable line, as to
what constitutes fly fishing. Some are dictated by state regulations and some by preference and tradition. To each his own, but if want to be really successful with a fly rod use bait and a bobber, you'l absolutely slay 'em, second choice would be a spinner with some bait on the end if you want to be fancy and silly at the same time.

Short of tossing dynamite, it can always be said that there are easier ways to catch a fish. If you are not fishing for survival, you are fishing for the challenge. Each of us finds that challenge at their own comfort level. Trying to draw lines between what is and is not flyfishing is arguing religion.
The way I look at it, if comparduns can be duns and beadheads aren't jigs, then spinners are no problem.
Mike.

afishinado wrote:

Nah, those little jumpsuits simply clashed with the colour of my eyes.

afishinado wrote:
One can fish spinners or props or worms or minnies or rubber baits on a fly rod in open reg water, but it aint fly-fishing. Just a statement of [d]fact[/d] opinion.

Neither is a quarter pound of lead wraps and tunsgten bead on teh end of 18' of monofilament, but sure-as-isht jig fishing seems to be sold as fry fishering in them magazines, eh?

gfen wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Nah, those little jumpsuits simply clashed with the colour of my eyes.

afishinado wrote:

Neither is a quarter pound of lead wraps and tunsgten bead on teh end of 18' of monofilament, but sure-as-isht jig fishing seems to be sold as fry fishering in them magazines, eh?

Lol..This morning I just finished tying up some HE's with 1/8" tung beads and 14 wraps of .020 lead wire (true story). Also my nymphing leaders often end up being 18' +/-. Fry that on for size. Eye of the beholder...I guess, but at least jump suits are out.

So, I can count you out of this group order for matching jumpsuits?

Thanks, Afish. I thought you were a team player. I guess I'll recuit someone else for my Fox Mulder competitive team.

quote]
afishinado wrote:
Quote:

gfen wrote:
cut fly off tippet.
stick blade on clevis.
thread clevis on tippet.
thread bead on tippet.
tie tippet to fly.
fish.

its not rocket science.

Ahhh yes it is along with heavily weighted hooks. in the 30's and 40's this all was the way to go. I have antique fly's with lead bodies that weigh more than a 3/8 oz. jig and flies with lead and spinners attached either in front on wire or at the back on a swivel. so anyone who says this is not a traditional way to fly fish doesn't know beans about how it was or is. I just can't figure how some of these old flies were cast on the rods they had....

I believe I sent you a personal email. Please check your PA Flyfishers Inbox.

Back