LaFontaine Caddis Pupa

B

barbless

I own a few of the "sparkle" caddis pupa flies designed by Gary LaFontaine, and have never fished them once. I own both types, the weighted and the unweighted.

Anyone have experience using them? What's the best way to fish them? Are they good for the grannom hatch? Do they work as a searching pattern?

Last year during the grannoms I did really well with my simplified version of this pattern on the Little Juniata. Fished it dropped off a caddis larva. Seemed to pick up most of the fish on this pattern at the end of the drift during the lift. Hope this helps. I know you can fish it other ways and I'm sure some will chime in. Just sharing my personal experience.

Well, start fishin' them! You will be glad you did. They are real fish catchers. I can't comment on the grannom hatch question. But I have generally fished them on the point underneath a EHC or cdc/elk or some other type of caddis emerger pattern. I usually tie them in green or tan in a few different sizes. When fishing a tandem rig like this I would bet that most of your hook ups will be on the "sparkle" caddis pupa. Something about that fly that the fish generally can't resist.

Oh yeah......... If you are fishing a good caddis stream I would never hesitate to use one as a searching pattern.

No doubt, I have used them in the grannom hatch and they have worked, though the best I have found for the grannoms is the starling and herl.

Definitely a must have pattern. Effective almost anytime and anywhere you see caddis around.

If given the choice, for a general searching dry fly, I'd take an emergent sparkle pupa over an Adams.

Late march through mid June, they are quite effective.

Most any time I tie on a Caddis dry I have a LaFontaine pupa hanging off the back. Almost standard procedure for me. It seems half my fish will be taking the emerger.
I normally tie them off the bend of the dry, maybe 8-10 inches.

I've used them to catch Landlocked Salmon in Maine and have caught some big salmon.
My best success is just under the surface.

Caddis Pupa + Fly Agra + Frogs Fanny = Trout

try one of these.

Attachments

• Flies collections 1 209[1].JPG
    Flies collections 1 209[1].JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
Oh my God! What is that fly stuck on?!

Bruno wrote:
Caddis Pupa + Fly Agra + Frogs Fanny = Trout

You are alive! I just lost a buck...to myself.

If he sees his shadow on the 2nd, he won't post again for 6 weeks

I've had good luck with the pattern that imitates the tan caddis, size 16 and 18, when those were hatching. It seems like they work best if you tie them pretty small and sparse.

For those who have had good luck with Grannom pupae patterns, what color are you using for the body?

troutbert wrote:
For those who have had good luck with Grannom pupae patterns, what color are you using for the body?

Typically green body with some black up front; brown hackle.

For the tan version, grey fox dub works well.

Sparkle pupa is devastating! One of my favorite combos is using an orange caddis pupa with a sparkle pupa dropper. Oh boy there goes my secret :-D

troutbert wrote:
Dull Green with a chartreuse rib. Pale amber (almost tan) antron veil. Brown deerhair wing stub on the floating version. Small dark chocolate head. (I use trico dubbing for it)

Love them and they really produce.

Tie mine on a size 16 with a light olive thread body, cream antron veil, and a black thread head.

Don't forget to use a small trailing shuck....

Back