Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

John Barr new book

From Doylestown, PA
I noticed on Amazon that John Barr has a new book that was to be released yesterday, any one have any reviews? Is the Copper John his pattern? Do you like to fish the Copper John? Does ot work for you?

Posted on: 2007/8/11 20:58

Re: John Barr new book

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
most of his patterns are for out west ken, though some (copper john) do work here i think most tyers modify it to work here in the east...

Posted on: 2007/8/12 8:23

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Mansfield, PA now, Bozeman next year
I haven't read the book but I imagine it is very good. John Barr is a great fly tyer and has some very good patterns. I use some of his patterns and do great on them. They may be designed for out west but they work just as good here. I think if you got the book you wouldn't be disapointed.

Posted on: 2007/8/12 8:30

From bucks cty
Just got a copy. It has several copper john versions. I've caught a number of rainbows on the LL using copper johns. Not that I would have thought to use them but one day I got to the stream and left my fly boxes at home. I only had what was on the patches from the last trip, including a couple copper johns. I caught two trout on one and after that it became part of my regular roation for the LL.

Posted on: 2007/8/23 18:35

From Doylestown, PA
Tabasco_joe, I got the book as well. Notice all the different colors he ties the Copper John ....Do you think all the colors matter? I went through a copper john kick back in the winter and tied all type of colors. I even tied a red-white and blue, just for the fun of it.

Check your PM.

Posted on: 2007/8/23 20:55

From bucks cty
Most of the nymphs I see on the PA stream beds are either olive or dark brown. To me the green and brown copper johns would imitate those. For some reason the blue ones work on the LL. Maybe it's just something in the light wavelengths that certain fish respond to. I've found rainbows seem to be attracted to reds (as in red San Juan worm) and brown trout to bright green (as in green wienie). Or maybe they just sink better from all the weight and they work because they are deeper.

Posted on: 2007/8/24 12:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com