Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

ISO Nymphs
From Gettysburg
Some recent Isonychia nymphs I spun up for the Delaware this weekend. They're size 12 and use a black bead under the wing case. ISOs tend to be rather cylindrical with small heads, short tails and, of course, exhibit the white stripe over their top, in this case, done with heavy white thread.

Attach file:

jpg  ISOs.jpg (159.72 KB)
26_506d836566b25.jpg 534X480 px

Posted on: 2012/10/4 8:39

Re: ISO Nymphs

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
nice flies for sure, not sure if there will be water, came up along the reservoir (cannonsville) its down further than any time I have seen it. west branch is free flowing into it a long ways. should be able to view some big browns in there pre spawn..

Posted on: 2012/10/4 8:49

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Philadelphia
check out millers iso emerger....great little soft hackle fly

Posted on: 2012/10/4 11:48

From Lancaster
Nice lookin' ties, Dave. Good luck on the D this weekend. Looking forward to the report. TL

Posted on: 2012/10/4 23:19

From LV
But are they flat?

Posted on: 2012/10/5 17:22

From Johnstown, PA
Flat enough , nice set of clones ya got there Dave , HAVE FUN

Posted on: 2012/10/6 10:25

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
But are they flat?

I don't think they need to be flat. The Iso nymphs I have sampled have a triangular profile. Meaning they the thorax if cut in half would look like a triangle.

Also, it is my assertion that the reason hares ears and pheasant tails work so well (tied in a round cylindrical fashion) is because...wait for it.....trout see food coming at them in two dimensions**. Everything is flat. So no matter the angle the fly approaches at it is likely it will resemble a single view of the natural. This is why it is more important to have the "parts" than it is to have them exactly correct in proportion or size. Trout do not roll a fly over and check the BMI of a fly before eating it. Nor do they compare it to an FBI "wanted poster" to see if its a natural.

**Note I realize the trout "see" in three dimensions. I am referring to their; see, choose, eat, decision that has to be made almost instantly.

Nice flies David

Posted on: 2012/10/7 16:35

From Dauphin PA
Dave,

Those look great. If I knew you had those with you, I would have offered to buy a few. I was out. We saw a fair number of Iso on the water Saturday and Sunday.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 14:06

From Jersey Shore, PA
Dave, nice Isonychia nymphs.

Let's hear some tales of success having used them?

Dave R.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 9:08

From Gettysburg
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, nice Isonychia nymphs.

Let's hear some tales of success having used them?

Dave R.

Thanks guys.
Alas the trout in the upper Delaware were not so fond of 'em (either swung or dead drifted).

Posted on: 2012/10/11 9:16

From Jersey Shore, PA
Dave, that was then. Next outing may yield different results.

We need to remember that trout don't take every natural that drifts by, as well.

Dave R.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 11:13

From Chester County
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, that was then. Next outing may yield different results.

We need to remember that trout don't take every natural that drifts by, as well.

Dave R.

Old Lefty knows...lol

I've fished an Iso nymph pattern identical to FI's flies for a long time and have caught an awful lot of fish with them. The D is tough since the fish feed when they want, if they want, and what they want. If and when they want Iso's, the pattern will work.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 6:36

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
If and when they want Iso's, the pattern will work.

This is so true with many patterns on many waters. Out of the many hundreds of trout so far this year I have yet to catch a trout on a beetle or a Hares Ear. I know it sounds impossible but I must only use them when the fish don't want them. LoL. I laugh every time I tie one on cuz I know what the result is gonna be but I still tie them on and go thru the paces. Lol.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 9:43

From Central PA
nice flies. does anyone use ostrich for the body? i just picked up some ostrich feathers from spruce creek outfitters this past weekend after double checking that there was no season in pa for them! quite expensive in my opinion for 1 feather but if they work then it was worth it. what is the iso nypmh immitating? kind of reminds me of a slate drake?

by the way nymphing on the little j on saturday was unproductive...got skunked, where did they all go?

the penns seemed to hold at least 1 trout in each nice piece of water, managed to land 5 on sunday there.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:43

From Gettysburg
Mutz,
Thanks. Ostrich is indeed a good material for ISOs, esp as ribbing to get the abdominal gills.

ISO is short for Isonychia which is just the more technical name for "slate drake."

Posted on: 2012/10/23 7:33

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com