home made zonker strips

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

anyone successfully tanned and dyed rabbit fur?

also are zonker strips you buy at the fly shop cotton tail or snow shoe?

domestic rabbit as in pet rabbits......you can use cotton tail or snowshoe if you can get them..

I've never tanned and dyed them myself but I have bought whole skins already dyed and cut them into strips.

I could help you with the dying part, but I know nothing about tanning other than they have "kits" at cabelas and other taxidermy supply catalogs.

LIVE ACTION!!

put the skin in denatured alcohol for day. Then pin flat to dry. They are a pain in the rear after they are dyed. I would recomend to put them in a dryer to loosen up skin after dying. And cutting is pain. WORTH the price in the shop

If you tan them first then dye they are nice and soft, like frank i buy them now to much work in tanning.

pet rabbits...hmm. i guess the beagles will be spending more time in the kennel. some of the local amish farms have signs rabbits for sale every once and a while. i will have to pick one up and give it a shot. can't buy them on sundays though or lebanon levi will come after me!

i have 4 cotton tail hides ready to tan, then dye. will post my results if anyone is interested pm me.

too bad snapping turtles have nothing to tie flies with!

Get a pelt from a craft store and cut it yourself. An extremely messy job. I agree with plombardo, it is worth it to buy this pre-cut.

I imagine they start with the white domestic rabbit, not the cottontail.

mutzinbaugh wrote:

too bad snapping turtles have nothing to tie flies with!
They make a great soup though.
I agree with what's been said above doing your own strips is a pita, after messing with it myself I quite enjoy buying them already ready.

Back