Holiday Swap 2011

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

There is beauty in simplicity and the traditional soft-hackle wet fly is quite simply, beautiful. In its bareness, in the liveliness of its soft hackle fibers it suggests all that seems necessary to tempt fish. Because of its simplicity it's also one of the easiest flies to tie—and often one of the deadliest.
~Jack Gartside

Well, as the quote would suggest, this years Holiday Swap has a Soft-Hackle theme. So tie up your favorite Soft-Hackle and follow the guidelines below if you are interested in a variety of Soft-Hackle to try out.

You are only required to tie one pattern, but can submit more if you desire. There is a limit of 18 tiers and the deadline to enter is Friday, November 18th, 2011. Due date for your entries is December 31st, 2011. Please follow the guidelines and you should have your flies shortly after the deadline or when all entries are received.

You will need to tie as many flies as there are fellow participants. So if we reach the maximum number 18 tiers, you will need to provide at least 17 flies for all other participants excluding yourself. So everyone should tie and receive 17. Also, optional extra flies may be tied for Dave Kile and the Moderators who keep this site running smoothly. It is highly recommended that you include one for Dave, for without PaFlyFish this swap wouldn't be possible.

Flies will be returned in the containers they were mailed in, if possible. Please write your name on your container- If you don’t I will. Keep in mind that the other flies may be larger than yours, so make your container large enough to handle that possibility. Please include a stamped return envelope. Whatever it costs to mail to me, it will cost me at least that to return, so match the postage. To the guys that are doing this for the first time- do not send them in an expensive fly box. I have had flies get lost in the mail in the past. The best type of container is an Altoid tin or something similar. Fly boxes tend to be a little too bulky and usually cost more to ship.

It is nice to provide the other tyers with the fly pattern recipe, instructions, etc. At a bare minimum, provide the materials list for each part (e.g.: Hook: #14; Thread: brown; Tail: Medium Dun Hackle; etc...); preferably, give the recipe, step-by-step instructions, and a short explanation of the use of the fly; it's history, if you want, etc.

Please email or PM me when you have mailed your flies so I can look for them in the mail. I will post on this thread that they have arrived safely. I will PM everyone my email and mailing address once the swap is full or the deadline has passed. If you have any questions just email/PM me or post them on this thread.

JH

This is the list of people who signed up on this thread, Holiday Swap?

RowJimmy
sniperfreak223 - Hare's ear soft hackle
jay348
FrequentTyer
whheff
SBecker - Bwo emerger pattern
beeber2
flyfishingNZ
wsender - Caddis Pupa Soft Hackle
quillfly - Quillfly Special
Suckerspawn
dubthethorax
JohnnyUtah
bobbymo
Bruno
eunanhendron - Sulpher Soft Hackle
flyfishermanj - Peacock and Starling

There is only one spot left, if interested speak now or get in on the next one!!

JH

Still in...i'll tie a flymph. I'll confirm colors/style once i mess around w/ some variations.

May tie a second pattern...we'll see when i can get to the shop.

I'm going to do a pheasant tail soft hackle

Please put me down for a Bird's Nest Soft Hackle.

assuming a full field ,mods and dave total would be ?

@ quillfly

I plan on tying a holographic wet fly, which I used in the weekend on spring creek to great success.

Basically:

Body = Red thread
Tag and Rib = Crystal flash
Legs = Partridge over peacock herl

I was using size 16, but I might do 12s or 14s instead.

I will tie a royal coachman soft hackle.

I'm in.

we have a full swap

if anyone bails let me know

I'm thinking the same, Can i be an alternate if anyone bails?

Or will their be more holiday swaps soon?

Huntin and Zip,

Will keep ya both in mind as alternates and I will only host one swap @ a time. This doesn't mean that there will not be another Holiday swap with another host.

JH

Update,

RowJimmy
sniperfreak223 - Hare's ear soft hackle
jay348
FrequentTyer - Bird's Nest Soft Hackle
whheff - royal coachman soft hackle
SBecker - Bwo emerger pattern
beeber2
flyfishingNZ - holographic wet fly
wsender - Caddis Pupa Soft Hackle
quillfly - Quillfly Special
Suckerspawn
dubthethorax
JohnnyUtah
bobbymo - pheasant tail soft hackle
Bruno
eunanhendron - Sulpher Soft Hackle
flyfishermanj - Peacock and Starling
Darryl - River Demon's

Check your PM's, if you didn't get my address let me know.

JH

mine will be going out on Monday.

Gentlemen,
I did not plan on being 1st to ask for exit pass, but my schedule in Dec is fully packed with business travel. So my time on bench will be limited, additionally wet flied with hackle are not my best ties!
I'm going to request that members in waiting take my slot in Holiday Swap! I rather have someone fill slot now, then me lagging behind or not getting flies out in timely manner!
Thanks for your consideration and let's hope I'm not banned from other swaps!

TKS
SS

Thanks for your consideration and let's hope I'm not banned from other swaps!

Dear Mods,

I vote for him to be removed completely from this board!! How dare him to exit a swap a full 6 weeks BEFORE the deadline!! Does he not understand that standard procedure is to notify the swap's host 6 weeks AFTER the deadline!! Acts of consideration like this shouldn't be permitted here!!!

JH

Suckerspawn,

Just goofing off, your early exit is fine and appreciated. You are more than welcome to join any swap that I may host in the future.

JH

Huntnfool is the replacement, swap is once again full.

Flymph Recipe:

Hook : #12 wet fly/nymph hook
Thread : 8/0 UNI - brown
Tail : Pheasant tail
Body : Slate drake dubbing spun in a loop and picked out
Rib : Gold wire
Wing : Brown hen

6380588315_bc23ef9ba8_b.jpg

Back