Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Help with Simple Pattern

From Woodstock, MD
I am trying to tie some egg patterns. I have Orvis pink yarn and have watched the videos on line. For some reason when I pull and cut the yarn it does not pop and spread across the hook like it shows in the video., Are there tricks> Techniques that I am missing? Do I need "trick" yarn? Looking for help. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 9:39

Re: Help with Simple Pattern

From Pittsburgh
I use McFly foam for most of my egg patterns. The stuff works great, and bounces back well when stretched and cut. It's pretty easy to shape with just a little trimming if needed. I separate it in half for some of the smaller patterns. I posted a link below. Hope that helps.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/i ... m-Products-McFlyfoam.html

Posted on: 2013/3/24 10:43

Possibly not enough thread pressure. First thing is make a thread base on the shank, use no more than pencil diameter of yard, secure with two loose wraps, pull-up yarn and pull down thread to tighten and then wrap several more tight wraps. Really pull the yarn tight when you cut it.

The mcfly yarn is by far and away the best. Get some and throw everything else away.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 13:54

From New Castle, PA
McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam, McFlyFoam.

The stuff practally ties itself when it comes to making nice round eggs.

Glo-bug yarn or similiar products do not.

The McFLyFoam, a synthetic yarn despite it's name, has a spongy feel and the tiny indiviual fibers are very "kinky." The yarn also has a velco like quality when you handle it with dry fingers. It compacts and flares a lot when you put a tight wrap of thread around it.

GloBug yarn on the other hand is very soft, and has a whispy quality. It's great yarn for suckerspawn style eggs. I think this material tends to have more natural color and translucency than McFlyFoam but it does not tie very good single eggs. It takes a lot of fiddling to get it to flare around the hook and the spot where you wrap it with threat tends to sho in the finished fly. But again, it's fantastic for suckerspawn style flies.

If you have McFlyFoam use a sturdy thread like Uni in 6/0 or UTC and try to use a minimal number of tight wraps in a compact area to secure your yarn. Also use very sharp scissors.

If you have some other yarn, consider tying suckerspawn style. You may need to pull your strand of yarn in half so that you have two or even three thinner strands to work with. This will give you the appropriate density of yarn to tie a good looking fly.

FWIW, I prefer the suckererspawn tied with GloBug over single eggs tied with McFlyFoam. So give them a shot if the single eggs aren't working with your yarn.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:42

From Portage, PA
+1 for mcfly foam. Tied up 40 this morning.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:49

Egg patterns - I experienced the same frustration when I began tying. I do not tie them any more. I have found success with the blood dot that is easier to tie and just as successful.

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/fly_tying_video_blood_dot.html

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:11

From NC PA Mountains
Get one of these tools....or make one.
I can tie 2 per minute with one of these tools.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_ ... g%20Tools&type=Egg%20Tool

Posted on: 2013/3/24 19:23

From Norwich, CT
hook

Click to see original Image in a new window

zap a gap

craft pom poms

stab pom pom onto hook

coat hook shank with zap a gap

push pom pom into zap a gap

let dry

go fish

Posted on: 2013/3/25 7:13

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

http://www.danica.com/flytier/nfrechette/nfrechette.htm

From Perkasie PA
mcfly foam mcfly foam mcfly foam

Posted on: 2013/3/25 11:03

From York & Starlight, PA
"The yarn also has a velco like quality when you handle it with dry fingers."

That is really a problem as I have rough fingers from years of working with my hands. I literally can't handle mcfly foam because it is constantly getting caught on me thumb and index fingers.

When I did tie Glo-bugs I found I achieved a closer to perfect ball (although never like the ones you see on the Salmon River) by using Kevlar thread. Man you can really crank down and torque that thread! You'll bend the hook before you break the thread.

As another poster mentioned I no longer tie them and use sucker spawn, Blood Dots, Krystal Meth, and Estaz flies as very productive alternatives.

Attach file:

jpg  Eggs1.JPG (121.50 KB)
2548_51522be8735e7.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 2013/3/26 19:14

+1 on the kevlar. If not kevlar, you need to at least use a strong thread and really tie it tight.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 20:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
95 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com