Hackling Dry Flies

C

carver

One of the major frustrations I have in tying dry flies is tying down the hackle after wrapping forward to the hook eye. I always seem to bind down hackle fibers and spending time trying to trim up the fly to look even remotely proper.

Another challenge I have is the hackle stem turning after it has been bound down. I am assuming there must be some "twist" in the stem. The hackle is facing the proper direction when I bind it to the hook, but turns as I start to make my wraps.

Anyway, I was hoping to use this thread to solicit tips and tricks from those of you that have developed effective methods for hackling your dries.

Thanks.

The first few wraps dictate what the rest will do generally. Try wrapping using your fingers not the hackle pliers for the first 2 wraps. This gives you a little more control over the twisting. I dont care who you are sometimes we all get some bards around the hook eye. If your having trouble make sure that you are leaving enough room behind the hook eye for a good finish, second pull the barbs back away from the shank before tying the hackle down. Good Luck I hope this helps.

Carver,

Here's a tip that I use: Tie the hackle butts in first near the eye of the hook with the tips facing out over the eye. Tie the rest of the fly as usual. When you go to hackle the fly, wind the hackle back to the body, tie it off, then weave the thread through the hackle as you move it towards the eye. This should then leave you plenty of room to tie off. It also helps reinforce the hackle.

Steve

Sounds like the stem is twisting as you apply it or maybe the foundation on which you are laying the hackle on is uneven. 2 things I'd suggest are putting a light base of dubbing before you hackle and/or putting a crease in the stem(s) with the left thumbnail before starting the hackling process.

Thenks for the input everyone. I appreciate the help.

Back