Hackle Stackers

SBecker

SBecker

With the Catskill Jam only a couple days away, I have been tying these type of flies in all species and sizes.

A friend and pretty prominent tier in my area turned me on to this style. Before my trip to Harmon's a month and a half ago, he gifted me some flies to mess around with down there.

When he showed me the Hackle Stacker Spinner pattern, I had never seen it before. He explained to me that over the years fishing the Upper Delaware, he has began noticing fish shying away from poly winged spinners and certain types of flies. This was until he returned to the hackle stacker style. He swears that it is one of the only styles he chooses to use up there. They sit low in the water and can imitate a few different stages of the mayfly life cycle.

Such I respect his opinion and know how good of a fisherman he is, I have began tying most of my fly's in this style. Here are a few pitcures....

Sulphur Type

IMAG1599-1.jpg

Cornutas, Iso's, Sulphurs, Spinners

IMAG1604-1.jpg

IMAG1602-1.jpg

Here is a video demonstrating how to tie this style from Gavin Robinson from TCO.

Interesting tie, but other than a post what is the difference between this, and a parachute which also sits low in the water, and imitates different stages of a mayfly.

There really is no difference other then the type of post material used. The hackle seems to cover more of the thorax and allow for better floatability. Also, when it comes to wary fish, I have been told it fishes better. I tend to believe this opinion. Just figured I would share a technique that I was not aware of untill recently.

Where this method really shines is when you want to use up some oversized hackles. Can also wrap CDC instead of hackle which makes some nice emergers.

It would seem to me a comparadun would accomplish the same thing.
I did watch the video and the way the tails were split I had never seen before. I ran to the vise and tried it, Money! That is a really easy way to get them split!

Nice looking flys Becker. Thanks for posting them.
Everything old is new again!
The hackle stacker looks an awful lot like a paraloop fly. And both were predated by Dud Soper's flathackle style. The flathackle does make a great spinner profile and may be superior in this regard to a standard parachute.

Cool, I like it. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I love learning different techniques,will be trying this soon. :) Nice lookng flies ya got there by the way.

Becker,
Very nice job, a great pattern to tie also.Howd has this pattern worked for you this year?any trouble with the hackle breaking off or gettin loose?
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

It has worked really well, and is why I have been tying a lot more of them. I find that it holds up well if I take care of pulling it out of the fishes mouth. I reinforce the tie with head cement before I wrap the biots, after I wrap the tippet and hackle in, and then the whip finish.

interesting, I'll have to try it......deer hair as a comparadun style would give you the same pattern but it might not be sparse enough

but fishing most spinner patterns at dark can the fish really see, who knows I guess

the tail splitting was neat too, i've seen it done before without cutting the tag end off but never liked the way that looked

tyeager wrote

but fishing most spinner patterns at dark can the fish really see, who knows I guess

Delaware fish do! Lol
In all seriousness, many patterns do the same thing as each other, but as fly tiers we try to please ourselves by tying new things. Keeps the hobby interesting I guess. :)

I often tie my spinner patterns parachute style with a white or a bright colored poly yarn post. To finish the fly, I cross wrap a little dubbing around and over the thorax to separate the wings and make them parallel to the body like spent spinner wings. I trim the brightly colored post short but leave enough for better visibility of the fly on the water.

I have been tying flies for 43 years and you are right about the hackle stacker. I have been tying and fishing this fly for 6 years now from size 10 March Browns down to size 24 Trico's with fantastic results. I do have one question for SBecker? Your friend and prominent fly tyer (which whom I know) was first introduced to this style fly last year 2011 fishing sulphurs on the Pohopoco. I should know because I introduced him to this fly and explained to him how to tie it and his first responce was that fly would take to much time to tie. So how could he have been fishing this fly for years on the upper delaware when he only found out less than a year ago?

Hmmm I don't know! Lol possibly, I misunderstood him? It happens sometimes. However, I am glad you have reinforced his idea that it outfishes and is a great pattern. I take it you are one of the Po sulphur crew. How has the upper stretch below the dam been? Lower has been very productive.

A very nice tye. Using tag end of thread to seperate thibbets works.

Tried using a piece of bright red thread (instead of rust colored tag). Wasn't helpful or beneficial.

Used a right yellow poly material instead of tippet material. Wasn't better and more visible.

Actually, now when I go back and read what I wrote I state:

"When he showed me the Hackle Stacker Spinner pattern, I had never seen it before. He explained to me that over the years fishing the Upper Delaware, he has began noticing fish shying away from poly winged spinners and certain types of flies. This was until he returned to the hackle stacker style. He swears that it is one of the only styles he chooses to use up there. "

Basically I never state he has been fishing it for years. I comment about him seeing over the years the poly winged spinners not working as well.

I did make the comment that he returned to the Hackle Stacker style and it producing better.

O well no biggie.

The section below the dam has been really good as long as the flows are low enough. Tons of sulphurs and caddis. Sure wish the Po was regulated water with lower kill limits. Got to be one of the best streams in this area.

Agree, went from 225 to over 800cfs in a day. Pretty large jump.

That's a cool tie. You can get a somewhat similar looking spinner pattern, an easier, lazier way. Just wrap the hackle in the standard dry fly way, then clip the bottom. I don't know what that style is called, but it works very well.

Also, I like pale dun for spinner wings.

You are right, but then you would not have a clean thorax. Just my opinion.

Back