got my stuff

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

so i got my stuff and first thing was go tie a san juan worm. i had problems snapping off thread and minor things. but now its so easy i tied greenie weenies, san juans, and glo bugs. i also tied this easy to tie nymph i found, i will put link on ltr, and i tied for like 4 hours lol. got alot tied and only problem is my glo bugs , they spin on the shank, and idk how to stop that i am using mcfly foam. thnks

also i got allen hooks, and for the price ya cant beat it it took 3 days to ship and there sharp and good quality.

Make sure you coat the hook in a thin layer of thread before tying in the globug yarn. That's a decent rule of thumb for any pattern, really.

Don't add bulk, just cover the hook shank.

The first tip that really changed my fly tying for the better: "justify every wrap". Newbies use too much thread. Your flies will never look right until you make every wrap count, and do away with the unnecessary ones that just add bulk. After each wrap, ask yourself why you did it, and if it was needed.

i did and i lay my tread flat and usually dont over wrap it wen goin down shank but it still turn and i go threw it then around the to the eye and it still wants to turn

troutmagnet wrote:
i did and i lay my tread flat and usually dont over wrap it wen goin down shank but it still turn and i go threw it then around the to the eye and it still wants to turn

My guess is that you're using too much yarn, then.

You have to use a heavier thread and really cinch it down.

Try this method:
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/tutorials/egg-patterns/glo-bug

ok thanks, and i was using 140 thread, ima go try again , thanks

'magnet - 140 denier is plenty strong enough if you're using McFly foam. This video shows a good technique for it. You can use a cheap pen body, or a straw instead of the tool shown.

ok i tried but it came out really loose, idk why but i will be trying again

The key is constant tension on the thread. If you are using a "tool" to hold the McFly foam, you should be able to let go of the tool after the first wrap. If it spins, you know there's not constant tension.

Keep a single edge razor blade handy, and just run it over the hook shank to remove thread/materials on the mistake flies. You'll get the hang of this technique pretty quickly...

ok, all of my glo bugs spin on the shank, and yes i wraped a good base. some came out good size and full but they still spin........ i need sum help hahah

but all my other flies are fine

troutmagnet wrote:
ok, all of my glo bugs spin on the shank, and yes i wraped a good base. some came out good size and full but they still spin........ i need sum help hahah

As long as they look OK, it's no big deal. They get torn up pretty quickly anyways.

If it really bothers you, but a tiny drop of super glue on the thread wraps and let it dry before you put the egg yarn on. Really, it's no big deal that they spin on the shank. The fish won't mind at all.

try wrapping your thread all the way to the bend and then back to the middle then a few half hitches or whip finish then place your foam or yarn on the hook i do a double loose wrap and then cinch it all down nice and tight then pull your yarn up like your going to cut it and make a few wraps just above and parallel witht he hook shank then your done it will look like a lil muchroom cap on top of the hook shank this also keeps it from spinning amd keeps materials out of the hook gap but covers most of the gap....

ok i will look, and i didnt have hard as nails, but my mom had regular nail polish clear, is that ok because i put a little on and seemed to help. i will put the pics up 2night

Back