Good hooks for small flies?

bjkaledas

bjkaledas

I have been tying a slew of flies in size 28 recently and have been using Mustad Signature hooks, which I really like. I have found that the size 28 though have been failing pretty easily though. I have had a few instances in the last couple of weeks where I had some hogs on that got off the hook only for me to find that they had bent the hook out. Now, I think this is a fly where I had already caught a fish or two. I have heard good things about Tiemco hooks and wondered if maybe that is a better brand for these small sizes. Let me know your thoughts.

BJ

any small hook is going to break or bend with a large fish, if theres to much pressure.. try letting them run more. I don't see much difference when the hooks are that small.

Anything smaller then a #24 you might as well just expect them to bend and break. A #28 or #32 is fun to use but I find most people just use them to see if thats really what the fish are taking and really don't expect to land the fish or if they do only a few fish. I like Daiichi or Temco hooks for all my dry flies #14 and smaller, #12 and bigger I use Mustad.

BJ,
I use Tiemco (TMC) hooks almost exclusively. I used to tie with Mustad when I first started tying flies, and found that they tend to break easier, aren’t as sharp out of the box, and rust quicker. For small flies, #20 or smaller, I use TMC 100 or TMC 2487. The 100’s are standard dry fly hooks, and the 2487’s are scud/pupa hooks with a curved shank The 2487 have a 2x wide gap for the hook size, and are 2x short. They work well, especially for midge pupa. The 2457 is the same hook as the 2487, except it has heavier wire. I don’t think the 2457 is made in smaller sizes.

The biggest problem with small hooks is that they pull out of the fish much easier because they only hold a small part of flesh in the fishes mouth. I don’t understand when people say that they bend or break the hooks on a fish when using small hooks. You must use 6x tippet or lighter for these hooks, and the tippet usually breaks or the hook pulls out before the hook fails – at least that’s my experience with TMC. You must ease up on the pressure, as Sandfly said, or stop fishing in places that hold those big fish. If you give up on those hog holes, just PM me with the location. I’d be glad to go in there and take care of them.

Good luck.

I tie and fish flies down to #32 - mustad hooks in that size range don't cut it IMO.
The best midge hooks I've ever used are the partridge vince marinaro model. Unfortunately, they have gotten ridiculously expensive. FFP in state college sells them for $12.95 per 25 pack.
Until a few years ago. I used to get them for $7.95 a pack and used them exclusively in sizes from #24 down.
Lately , I've been buying TMC 518 for around $4.50 per 25 pack and have no problems - even in the #32's.
As someone else stated here, I'm usually fishing flies that small on 7x and I'm sure that would pop before the hook straightens out.
Another good small fly hook I've tried is the orvis 4641 big eye dry fly

bjkaledas wrote:
I have been tying a slew of flies in size 28 recently and have been using Mustad Signature hooks, which I really like. I have found that the size 28 though have been failing pretty easily though. I have had a few instances in the last couple of weeks where I had some hogs on that got off the hook only for me to find that they had bent the hook out. Now, I think this is a fly where I had already caught a fish or two. I have heard good things about Tiemco hooks and wondered if maybe that is a better brand for these small sizes. Let me know your thoughts.

BJ

I have found in the past that Mustad hooks seemed a bit brittle, but thirty years ago they were pretty much the only fly hooks readily avaliable. I have had many break at the bend or the point break( hard to resharpen these). Mustad seems to have improved though recently.
I use mainly Tiemco and Daichi now(can't pass Mustad on sale though). Tiemco makes the really small sizes 28-30-32 (#518) straight and 28-30 (#2488) curved-scud shank. I've caught fish on them, no lunkers, and they performed well.
If you straighten these you might putting on too much pressure,
but I'm not sure I always seem to break the tippet.
Good Luck! :-D

For dryflies I use only Tiempco hooks and only once had one bend, it was a # 20 and on a huge trout in Fishing Creek Clinton County. I don't like mustad, they don't have sharp points even out of the box, they bend and break, and need to be sharpened all the time.
One you should make sure you are doing is to dry your flies out after each outing, I say this but don't always do it myself, and it does cause problems.

I use Tiemco hooks for all my small stuff, 2488, 101 and 518. I've bent them in vise, but like everybody else large fish I hook tend to take the flies with them because of the light tippet. Can't recall any being straighten by fish.

Thanks for all of your replies! I had another bend over the weekend over a huge fish. 6x tippet and it bent and left him go again. Time to try the Tiemco. If I notice better results, I will let all of you know. Thanks again!

BJ

BJ, you just need to catch smaller fish. :-D

I use TMC and Mustads. At one time I used only Partridge (I love those hooks) but when you’re cutting costs and can’t justify the additional cost they go. If I find a good deal I buy and use them. In the smaller hooks and for most flies in general if I catch 3 fish per fly I usually change and put them in the used fly compartment and they become the emergency only flies. I gave up on the smaller than 24’s now a day. If I want a smaller fly which I do a lot is I’ll tie a short 24 with good luck and gives you a little more strength with the bigger fish. To have young eyes again and no magnifiers to tie would be great. The magical turn of events for most people in the 40’s when reading and tying flies the cheater glasses come out (LOL).

Joe E

Back