Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Go to/attractor nymphs

From Mercer, Pa
I know this has probably been discussed a lot so just shut me up if I'm beating a dead horse here.....

What are some of your favorite go-to nymphs? I'm new to tying and looking to fill a box with proven nymph patterns. So far I have the GRHR, PT, Stonefly, prince nymph, copper John. I need one more fly to fill up my box of "attractor" nymphs. Any suggestions? I'll have another box for midges/larvae/etc.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 22:50

Re: Go to/attractor nymphs

From State College
Green Weenie, Zug Bug, San Juan Worm,Walt's Worm

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:22

From Altoona
I second the Walt's Worm. On a lot of streams around my area I usually tie one on first thing. There's not many times it doesn't produce. Another plus is that there's endless variations for it. Whatever your mind can think up.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:31

From Dallastown, PA
Hey Mario66,

I have a t-shirt that has your quote on it. I love that shirt. haha.

Did you know that back in the 1700's everyone drank beer in Philly, even kids because the water was so polluted it made everyone sick.

Carry on....

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:34

From State College
I do remember reading that somewhere, I also read the quote may have been about wine and people substituted beer, so who knows. I couldn't imagine how dirty the Schuylkill and Delaware were back then.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:51

From Ferguson Twp.
My go to is a mink beadhead size 14, unless there is something specific going on I tie it on first.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 7:08

From Nazareth PA
I would add a Walt's worm or a Triple threat nymph.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 8:13

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Mercer, Pa
what exactly is the walts worm imitating? or does it just look tasty? im intrigued

Posted on: 2013/3/13 8:56

From Portage, PA
Pheasant tail dropper with copperjohn point.

I have luck with my "stockie killer" Larva lace prince nymph.

I can pm you a recipe if you would like on that fly as well. Pretty easy to tie and deadly on fresh stocked fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 9:10

Quote:

what exactly is the walts worm imitating? or does it just look tasty? im intrigued

It's suppose to be a crane fly larvae, but it also looks fairly generic, IMO. But it's tied in the round, which I think is the most important aspect of it.

I've always had a lot success with nymphs tied in the round, or that are very subtly asymmetrical. When nymphs tumble in the current I think they stay more upright then we give them credit for. I feel like it's harder to distinguish a fly that is tumbling incorrectly when it's tied in the round, as oppose to when it has a fancy wing case, legs, weaveing, etc.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 9:11

From Mercer, Pa
mike, that would be awesome.

I might give the walts worm a try..looks super easy to tie.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 10:13

From Portage, PA
Just a few pictures of the "stockie killer" vinyl rib prince nymph pattern.

that ribbing comes in a million different colors and can easily take on a different look by changing your thread color.

Attach file:

jpg  stockie killers.jpg (219.78 KB)
3478_514097139178f.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  stockiekillerorder.jpg (31.81 KB)
3478_5140971e65162.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/3/13 11:12

From Portage, PA
The red with gold bead is my go to fly on stockies besides my favorit pheasant tails. The all red never got to hit the water yet, I imagine it will slam them in the evening since red is the last color seen by trout before their eyes go to night vision

Posted on: 2013/3/13 11:13

From State College
Walts Worm makes a good sow bug imitation for spring creeks

Posted on: 2013/3/13 12:56

From South Central PA
Probably mentioned in the past regarding the WW: Especially underwater fish including trout take all kinds of things into their mouths that come to them via the drift just in case it's got nutritional value. If it doesn't, they spit it back out. The walt's worm in various sizes and degrees of bulkiness looks like quite a few things we know and probably quite a few we don't. It also has little in the way of spook factor since there is no flash and nothing about it hampers natural drift.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 13:08

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com