Glow in the Dark freshwater shrimp

Leteras

Leteras

My new glow in the dark shrimp. Took the pictures with my phone while tying. They look crazy in the dark. The whole fly is tied with glow in the dark material. Except for the eyes and ribbing. This helps them to stand out when it is glowing. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 6
They look pretty nice.

I once tried tying some spinners with a glow in the dark materiel - I believe from a brand called kreinik - thinking that it would be great to be able to see the flies when fishing after dark.
But it didn't work out very well.
Hopefully, you're materiel will do a better job of glowing than mine did

Did you light the spinners up ?? Have to use some light to get them to really work, I use old camera flash to light up glow in the dark spinners.. "flash from a camera really puts the lights on"

sandfly -
I tried "lighting" them with a flashlight - never thought of a camera flash to do it.
Also, the materiel I had was very thin - and just didn't seem to hold much of a glow

The material puts off quite a glow. It's my glow in the dark dubbing. I am tying these up for the cabin fever show next Sunday in cranberry. Also sandfly is right a camera flash does work.

Leteras wrote:
The material puts off quite a glow. It's my glow in the dark dubbing. I am tying these up for the cabin fever show next Sunday in cranberry. Also sandfly is right a camera flash does work.

So, you have glow in the dark dubbing?
And - if so - will you have it for sale at cabin fever?

I have taken it to cabin fever the last two years. I will have it there for sale again this year too.

Just curious, where are you finding fresh water shrimp? Or are they crayfish?

They are in lake Erie believe it or not. My buddy talked to a fishery biologist up there. He ties an almost all white version and the steelhead eat it like candy. That fact is enough for me to tie and fish it. Also I have really good success with glow in the dark flies too.

Looks like a mysis shrimp... I know some of the Great Lakes steelheaders use them as well as a few tailwaters in Colorado.

Yep its a mysis shrimp.

For you Chaz-------
http://phys.org/news75627497.html

Back