Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

George Harvey's "Pusher" fly pattern

From "THE VILLE"
I've bin reading about George Harvey about what an icon he is in the ff circles. One of the things that got interested in him were both from Dubois PA. And his night fishing for browns and some of his original fly patterns. One in particular was his "Pusher" or night fly pattern. The pattern Joe Humphreys caught the 30 incher from Fishing Creek. I dug and dug and only got i pretty sh*tty pic.
Click to see original Image in a new window

I don't know if its the right fly even. Anyone got any info or pic.'s can ya plz post em..

Posted on: 2010/12/19 0:46
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

Re: George Harvey's "Pusher" fly pattern
From Gettysburg
Yes, that's the right fly. There are variations of this fly but the main element is the large mallard flanks tied concave side forward. This is where the "pusher" concept was derived as these feathers created the disturbance in the water that attracted fish at night.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 6:03

From Johnstown, PA
It's the dry fly version of a POP-R........i love it. George Harvey IS DA MAN , his style of tying dry flies is awesome. It's kinda like Darwin and all that selctivity stuff , his flies "evolved" into what they are because of isolation here in Pa (northeast US) and it seems that for here they are IT.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 6:37

From SEPA
According to a post in this thread, http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=20705, these are pictures of a Harvey tied Pusher.

(honestly, upon looking at it, that just makes no damned sense whatsoever does it?)

Posted on: 2010/12/19 10:08

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
It is tied to "V" wake in the surface like a steel head fly.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 10:14

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

That looks like the pusher - although with the upright "wings" and white color it looks more like something you might use during the drake hatch. That fly also looks like it would float, in which case those wings aren't going to push any water (which is their ultimate purpose). For that particular tie, I don't see those upright wings doing much more than twisting the hell out of your leader. The wings should be tied out to the side, and there should be two pairs of wings (one pair at the front and one at the back). Black is by far the best color. I would guess that the pusher fly in the picture is probably not very effective.

The pusher is most effective as a wet fly, as the wings don't undulate properly unless the fly is submerged. I would recommend using a heavy wire hook such as TMC 7999. Its hard to find really good feathers for tying those flies. Mallard flank doesn't cut it as it won't cause enough of a disturbance. Your best bet is to track down stiff shoulder feathers from a goose or turkey. Most fly shops don't carry acceptable feathers for tying an effective pusher fly. Make sure you use several hackle with long stiff fibers, and wrap them so that the concave part of the hackle faces forwards. You want the hackle to push water also.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 10:18

From Pittsburgh
This fly is talked about a bit in Harvey's first book.

He tied it big - size 4 up to 2/0 hooks
The wings use goose or duck breast feathers.
The body is tied cigar shaped with dubbing, and has a palmered hackle. And a short tail at the hook bend
Since it's a night fly, he stated that color isn't really important. But he did say that he was partial to darker materiels

Posted on: 2010/12/19 11:32

Quote:
That looks like the pusher - although with the upright "wings" and white color it looks more like something you might use during the drake hatch. That fly also looks like it would float, in which case those wings aren't going to push any water (which is their ultimate purpose). For that particular tie, I don't see those upright wings doing much more than twisting the hell out of your leader. The wings should be tied out to the side, and there should be two pairs of wings (one pair at the front and one at the back). Black is by far the best color. I would guess that the pusher fly in the picture is probably not very effective.

1 -I don't see any white in the pic. body looks like chartreuse

2 -the way the hackle is tied behind the wing is so it lays flush in the surface

3 the wings are tied perfect for a waking fly, look up waking flies for steel head. I have used this style for years on trout, bass, steel head. etc.

4 -if you look at the base of the wing the thread is wrapped around the base of each wing giving it a more rigid stance so the mallard in this case will make a disturbance

5 -might not be an exact copy of his fly, but i bet it will work on browns at night.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 11:54

Quote:
Your best bet is to track down stiff shoulder feathers from a goose or turkey. Most fly shops don't carry acceptable feathers for tying an effective pusher fly. Make sure you use several hackle with long stiff fibers, and wrap them so that the concave part of the hackle faces forwards. You want the hackle to push water also.

a few do !

Posted on: 2010/12/19 11:58

From "THE VILLE"
Thanks again guys, I'm just starting to get into Harvey and his works, I wanna pick up a couple of his books. I did find a cool link on Joe humpreys site, he has some fireside chats about Harvey and Ed Shenk.Joe's chats I thought that was really cool.
And a audio interview with Harvey down at the bottom of this links pagehttp://www.joehumphreysflyfishing.com/harvey.htm

Posted on: 2010/12/19 12:11
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From SEPA
The link I pulled the images from had that listed as a Harvey tied pusher from "a few years ago at the Symposium." IIRC, the thread was dated 2003, so its possible that's right.

But, the images themselves were broken links. I had to change the URL a bit to get them, so its possible in the intervening 6 years a software change could've broken the links to other image names.

I report, you decide.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 12:27

From SEPA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
a few do !

Decorum sez he won't do it, but I'm willing to bet there's a fly shop run by some old coot who appears to be filled with obscure knowledge, old style materials, and the wherewithal to use 'em.

I wouldn't be surprised if you contacted the guy at Big Meadows he'd get you what you needed and tell you how to use it.

(whistles innocently)

Posted on: 2010/12/19 12:29

Quote:
3 the wings are tied perfect for a waking fly, look up waking flies for steel head. I have used this style for years on trout, bass, steel head. etc.

I'm very adamant that the wing on the top is no good for a pusher fly. When the feather recoils it will push water toward the surface, and a trout won't feel those pressure changes unless it is above the fly. The advantage gained from the recoiling action of the feathers is going to be seriously reduced in this instance. Tying the feathers at the side will significantly increase the area over which the action of the fly is detectable to trout using the lateral line.

I also believe that waking flies are significantly different than the pusher fly. Waking flies do work great at night (the bomber is a good example), but any heavily hackled fly will cause a wake. The key to the pusher fly is the undulation of the feathers, which introduces a complex secondary motion that the triggers trout to strike as they get close to the fly. My experience is that this action is critical whenever you're fishing flat water due to the fact that secondary motion makes the fly seem alive and wiggling. In faster water, deer hair is more effective at generating a wake, and secondary motion is not usually critical.

Quote:
4 -if you look at the base of the wing the thread is wrapped around the base of each wing giving it a more rigid stance so the mallard in this case will make a disturbance

The problem with the mallard flank feathers are that they don't "catch" water very effectively. The ends are sort of wispy, which reduces the energy of the shocks that result when you twitch the fly. I've never had good results with mallard. You need to have something with stiffer fibers to make a really nice action in the water.

Don't get me wrong, I believe you can catch fish on a fly like the one shown. However, you'll catch a lot more if you use the proper design.

There are two pictures of pushers in Harvey's book "Memories, patterns and Tactics" and one picture in Paul Weamer's book on the Upper Delaware. I would refer to those images if you want to get the full benefit from this pattern.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 12:44

From Gettysburg
Here yuh go....tied by the master.

Source:
George Harvey, Memories, Patterns, and Tactics.
By D. Shields p54

Attach file:

jpg  GH Flies.jpg (243.08 KB)
26_4d0e75c6c5a9c.jpg 639X479 px

Posted on: 2010/12/19 16:15

From Johnstown, PA
Now that there is a dry fly POP-r!!!! I don't think he meant the pusher flies to be fished any way other than dry flies but i could be wrong but then there's Joe. The pic fishi posted almost looks like a June bug to me. Thanks for putting that up there fishidiot , really cool. At night that would create quit a ruckus............on top. lol

Posted on: 2010/12/19 18:04

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com