Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Generic olive nymph

From Wrightsville
I'm no expert on drifting nymph posture, but that style of hook will catch more fish.

That may be part of the difference between a straight shank and a curved shank considered everything else is the same. They hook the ones that would otherwise become "the rock bump that almost felt like a fish" fish.

Posted on: 3/3 20:30

From Ferguson Twp.
I got ya, I've read about a circle hook for salt water ffing that is supposed to be amazing at hook-ups. You're thinking maybe it's not the shape of the fly but the shape of the hook that's responsible for more sets. Interesting thought.

Posted on: 3/3 21:41

From Lewistown, PA
What's the thorax? Is it hare's ear? Or mink with the guard hairs? It's really spiky. The dubbing sticking out really suggests legs - they're almost as pronounced as if you had used a soft hackle for legs.

Posted on: 3/3 22:20

From Ferguson Twp.
Jeremy the thorax is hares ear & the legs are olive died partridge tied in under the wing pad.

Posted on: 3/4 6:21

From Lancaster
Several summers ago I got into fishing tricos. I switched to tying all of my trico spinner patterns on curved shank hooks. My hook up percentage went up significantly with the curved hook. I attributed it mainly to the offset hook point and wider gap on these hooks helping with a quicker hook set. I also feel the curved shank hook is much stronger than the straight shank hooks in the smaller sizes. I was regularly bending hooks on larger fish with straight shank hooks. I would think some of these characteristics would also apply to larger hook sizes although maybe not quite as dramatically as in the smaller ones. This is just a theory that I have gained some confidence in.

Posted on: 3/4 7:58

From pennsylvania
Quote:

barrybarry wrote:
I'm no expert on drifting nymph posture, but that style of hook will catch more fish.
That may be part of the difference between a straight shank and a curved shank considered everything else is the same. They hook the ones that would otherwise become "the rock bump that almost felt like a fish" fish.

Really?
Any proof to back that up?
I'm not doubting their efficiency. I just want to find out the validity of your very bold claim.

I use both straight and curved hooks for different nymphs, larvae and pupae.
I also use various styles for emergers, duns and spinners.
I use straight shank hooks for wets/soft hackles.
I suggest that different types of imitations are more accurately represented by different hook styles, leading to the perception of better hook ups in the type of fishing you do.

Posted on: 3/4 8:46

From Ferguson Twp.
I think the increased hook set percentage with the offset hooks is a valid point and true. I really like the direction this thread is taking with different hooks/hook ups and everyone's thoughts on it, looking forward to more insight on this.

Posted on: 3/4 16:50

From Wrightsville
Sorry If I sounded bold in my last post. I don't have any science to back up the "curved hook" post.

But I do have tons of experience with this hook style and wouldn't be without one. Whether you call it a Kahle hook or scud hook or whatever. Back in my bait fishing days I'd buy them by the dozens. Not a better hook style to be found.

I tie a lot of fly's on this hook style. (drys, nymphs and wets) I like it and feel very confident when I have one on the end of my line. The flies don't always look like they do in the books but I like them anyway.

Posted on: 3/4 19:58

From Ferguson Twp.
The impression I got was that you were speaking through on stream experience which if you ask me is the best kind. I tie some stone flies on kale hooks and have found them to be quite effective. The scud style hooks I use are the daiichi 1130/20's and they have an offset as well.

Posted on: 3/4 20:05

I tie most of my nymphs on scud hooks. I never kept track of fish hooking percentages.

Posted on: 3/4 20:08
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Ferguson Twp.
I never really have either, but after I started tight lining I noticed a sharp increase in fish to hand not just numbers but size on a regular basis. I know there are more variables in this situation than just an increased use of this style hook so maybe it's just a small part.

Posted on: 3/5 6:42

From Souderton PA
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
Not that straight hooks aren't effective I think that fact has ben proven beyond discussion.

When did that ever stop us
Nice fly Jack!
Mike.

Posted on: 3/5 7:48

From pennsylvania
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
I never really have either, but after I started tight lining I noticed a sharp increase in fish to hand not just numbers but size on a regular basis. I know there are more variables in this situation than just an increased use of this style hook so maybe it's just a small part.

That's my point.
This technique is deadly, and has traditionally been used with shorter shanked, wider gaped and heavier hooks. Who's to say that you wouldn't be just as effective with similiarly weighted (and similiarly constructed) nymphs tied on straight shanked hooks using the same technique?
I believe it is the technique (angler) and not the hook. If the hook type gives you more confidence, then so be it.

Posted on: 3/5 10:07

From Ferguson Twp.
Lol Mike you're right that's never stopped it before! And thanks.

Gut, I agree with you about the effectiveness of that style of fishing. And I feel I'm only scratching the surface of honing just how effective you can be with it. I do feel I'm making progress with it and my nymphing eyes are getting sharper as I go. I'm not sure how true as a whole this is but I've found that (most of the time)a larger trout's take is almost undetectable as far as being obvious meaning something looked/felt funny but not really if you know what I mean? It seems the smaller trout always give that little tap you feel in the blank. I don't know, maybe I left the cap off the glue too long. I'm looking to tie some up on the straight shanked hooks with the tungsten wire to get the proper weight on them and find out.

Posted on: 3/5 20:07

Lv2nymph, I understand what you're saying about "nymphing eyes". I figure if you're not setting the hook on rock sets and other disturbances, you're missing fish.
I don't know any other way to nymph really. It was how I was taught 15 years ago, and it works for me. I didn't know site indicators existed 'til this past Spring.

Two weeks ago, I had a big fish (~22") hit the nymph so hard it felt like a catfish strike.

Posted on: 3/5 20:22
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com