fly tying setup question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Being new to tying, I am looking for a place to setup my vise and tying supplies in my house. I have 3 dogs and a 3 year old so space and time can be an issue.

I am thinking about a workbench and putting it in the garage or a small work area downstairs in my house if my wife would allow.

What do most of you have for a setup?

Basement space. Well lit and heated

I do a lot to tying in the winter months, like now. I sure wouldn't want to be in the garage.
You may consider a portable tying bench. Several companies make them You could then get some of the large tupperware style containers to store and transport the supplies to the kitchen or where ever you set up.

The garage is not a good idea. I'd push for the bsmt with a semi permanent set up or some kind of container to hold your stuff and be mobile. At least until you can manage some space that the little one and the dog can't access.

I have had the benefit of having space in the basement in our first house then a beautiful loft in our second home. Now I have still have a pretty good "mans cave" as my wife puts it in our third home.
Makre sure it's heated and can get good light.

I have mine se-up in the basement. I use an old kitchen table and have plastic shoe boxes for storage of my materials. That is probably as close as I will ever get to the regular living quarters. I actually call it the dungeon.

Ron, you don't know that. It's surprising how things can change in our lives. You just never know.

I have a corner work station set up in my bedroom...just in case inspiration comes to me in a dream or something...that and the bedroom is the only room my cat seems to respect, so seeing how much cats love fly-tying materials it's my best option.

In your situation, I'd definitely take the basement over the garage.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
I have a corner work station set up in my bedroom...just in case inspiration comes to me in a dream or something....

^^ this is a good idea^^ Too bad the wife would never go for that.

Thanks. I have looked at a few portable work benches and think I found one thatbwill work. Hopefully my wife will let me set it up in the house

Our cat does not mess with any of my fly tying stuff. She is getting pretty old though. She does lay on a quilt that is up level with my table and she watches me tie

I pretty much live alone, girlfriend & her dogs will often stay on the wknds, so my whole house is pretty much the 'man cave.' But she knows that when things progress furthur, I'll be needing a similar space to my loft-ish second floor when we cohabitate full time. Pic is from early in my move, but the layout is the same, only with more clutter nowadays.

291712_2218971167516_1731189528_n.jpg

So I just tie at my desk, Renzetti traveler vise w/ base, tool caddy and mat'ls stored underneath in small bins or kept out and handy if I'm tying regularly like now. I have been looking for a nice old fliptop secretary's desk or maybe a smaller rolltop for a dedicated tying area. Actually found a decent mahogany fliptop from 1930ish yesterday at a local antique store, but it wasn't quite what I'm looking for exactly, and I'm not sure where I'd put it right now...the search goes on.

If you are looking for portability, you may want to consider one of the Fly Tying Workbench products that are available for purchase. I looked around a while back and found some that I liked, except for the price. So, I decided to build my own. So for about $40 I made the one in the attached photo. It has been working well for me. Quickly and easily converts my desk from my day job to my hobby.

Attachments

• FlyTyingWorkbench.JPG
    FlyTyingWorkbench.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
Upstream & Tomi - thats way to clean of a station - does ya use it?

My setup is in the basement.

Be careful of leaving hooks around with children, especially if the flies are very colorful and sparkle.

Upstream & Tomi - thats way to clean of a station - does ya use it?

lol, yeah it gets used...that pic is from when I was just moving into the new place, right after the new desk and loveseat had been delivered. Layout is still the same, but there's a lot, a lot, more clutter now, and even some art hanging on the walls. Guess I should take some up to date pics...

Have found magnetic sigh board is a great hook catcher I tie on my front porch and it is a where shoes at all time space just in case and keep the animals out.My dog has a thing for green bucktail.My buddys lab has a thing for purple marabou.I wish I could keep my space clean but to many different flys to tie and no time to clean just like cooking dinner.No one wants to do the dishes.

I built my desk a few years ago but never put a finish on it till a month ago because I wanted to make sure it was set up the way I wanted first. It doesn't take long to clutter up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
Truth be told, I don't have a "permanent" tying setup at my place. Instead, I have an ArtBin loaded with hooks, thread, wire, tools, etc., and separate floor bin with materials. This way I grab the bin and materials I need and I can tie at work or just about anywhere else. In theory it would be nice to have a "permanent" setup, but I also use my desk for doing exactly what I'm doing now - typing on the computer!

Here's the bin I have, which as worked well for several years now:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Art-Bin-Easy-View-Craft-Supply-Tote/3127870/product.html

I have a spare bedroom that I converted into an office/tying room, but I don't use it much. I made a small portable tying base that I usually set on a TV table. When its warm and not too windy I can sit it in my lap and tie in the back yard. One of my winter projects was to build a material cabinet for the tying room, but that is looking less likely to happen as time marches on.
Mike.

I converted a bedroom in the basement to my fly tying room. Prior to that, I had a desk in a large storage room. I used the old chest of drawers to store my materials. I tie on a wooden desk that was no longer used at work. On top of the desk I use a station I bought from Cabelas many years ago. When I go to our advanced fly tying class at TU, I take the station and place my tools,vice,supplies, etc. in a travel bag.

Back