Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly tying practice

From Ohio
Good job! Those should all catch fish. I was particularly impressed with the Clouser, my first Clousers were pretty ugly.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 8:05

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
all very good for a beginner and you have nothing to feel bad about sharing for feedback. The zonker is quite good. Some may feel the rabbit strip is a bit long, but that's personal preference.
quite the contrary to your opinion on the PT, it is not too skinny, it's just right. The other nymphs are too fat IMO. The thorax/wing pad on the BHHE is too small- think about 1/3-1/2 the size of the entire fly

Loose the legs on the PT and build the thorax up a little bit. If you feel the need for legs, make them less thick and stubby. Many believe, and I have observed this in fishtanks, mayfly nymphs pull their legs into their body when they drift/swim. The legs become prone only when they cling to substrates. The amount of tail on the PT could be reduced. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you did not twist the PT fibers while wrapping. I prefer to do this as it makes it easier for me to control the profile. But not all do it this way.

With the exception of the "head", which tends to be a shade darker, the color on scuds is fairly uniform. I would suggest not using the dark tail and antenna on it.

I didn't see your comment earlier. Thanks for all the feedback! I modeled the hair's ear on one that I purchased, but I would definitely believe you if you said it was too fat. Same with the shark's caddis. What other materials could I use for the tail and wing casing?

Also I saw some recipes that called for the legs (actually, I was thinking they were supposed to represent emergent wings) and some that didn't. I'll have to try it without.

Do you use the antenna at all on scuds, or just match the color to the rest of the body?

I've never actually seen the bugs that these nymphs are supposed to imitate in person. I guess learning about them would help to inform my tying a bit. Maybe I'll invest in a small net and go see what's in my local stream...

Posted on: 2013/6/27 12:52

From Nazareth PA
Very good for your first flies. I would also suggest buying Charlie Craven's book "Basic Fly Tying".

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:17

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:
Grab some white while your there probably my two fav zonker colors, well really pretty much for any streamer tying lol

I second getting this color, tied with a silver body it can be a very good fly. The flies you're tying are looking good keep at it.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:23

From Lewistown, PA
I took some of your suggestions, and tied a couple more flies:

Beadhead pheasant tail: I built the thorax up a little more on this one, and the legs are finer. Tail may still be too long, and the wing case is kind of thin, but it's getting closer.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Another view (in my box of experiments/newly tied flies). I like the one on the far right the best. Some of the others have too large a bead head.

Scud: I used light brown hackle fibers for the tail/antennae this time for a more natural color. I'm not sure I like the shape of this one as well as the other one I posted. I tried tying this one on a size 14 hook instead of a 12, and it was a bit harder to get it well proportioned.

This is one of DC10's recommendations: picket pin! I'm still working on hackle selection... this saddle hackle feather was a little too large and coarse - I had to trim the fly a little after it was tied.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 10:05

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com