Fly tying materials

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

I have a few questions about tying. I have decided to really learn how to tie some flies for the winter so I'll be ready to go in the spring. First of all I am buying all of my stuff from Cabelas since I don't have any local fly shops that I go to. They don't sell turkey tails which is what I need for the wing case. Are there any substitutes for this? They sell turkey biots, but I don't know what those are. Im sure ill have more questions soon. The other flies I think I'll tie are a pheasant tail, wooly bugger, and maybe after I get those out of the way I might try a BH prince nymph. My next question is about hackles. I know nothing about them and apparently I need hackle for a bugger.

you don't say what the wingcase is on.
i tye my GRHE with hen pheasant quill, cock pheasant tail,mallard flank,or sometimes any gray feather fiber such as goose or pigeon.you could also use pearl mylar on most nymphs as a flashback wing case.

biot is the "bad side "of a quill.you need goose biot for PN's.white for the wings brown for the tail.

i usually use metz hackle for buggers and wet flies such as prince nymphs.sometimes i use hen hackle or partridge for a prince.but anyway,you can use cheaper hackles on buggers,as long as it has some length.

they should have turkey tail, if not they are not a shop.....

Oh sorry, I had to retype because I accidentally hit the back button, The first fly is the GRHE

If you can find whiting bugger packs somewhere, that's by far my favorite bugger hackle.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2007MAster/fcpage.asp?page=77

they're on that page.

You have a few fly shops close by too. Check out french creek outfitters, the sporting gentleman, or the TCO main line store.

I decided to order materials for the prince nymph too...Do I need two different hackles for the two?
I think the problem is that I don't know what the difference between a saddle and a cape or neck is. If I bought one of those parts what would it be good for? What is the difference between hackle for dry flies and wets/streamers?

I recently got into tying flies as well chstrcntyfish.

GRHE:
Weighted Wire
Pheasant Tail Fibers
Hares Mask
Tinsel\Turkey Tail

PN:
Weighted Wire
Turkey Biots
Peacock Herl
Hen Neck

http://www.hookhack.com/flytiershints.html

That's where I learned all about hackle.

Dry fly hackle is stiffer and less "webby". That basically means that the fibers separate nicely. Wet fly hackle, on the other hand is webby and soft, allowing it to get waterlogged and provide good movement under water.

What is the difference between hackle for dry flies and wets/streamers?

About forty bucks..........

TCO hackle

Don't waste good dry fly hackle on buggers - they are too expensive to waste. Cheaper saddle hackle is better for tying buggers anyway. As Jay said it is soft and webby. The best saddle for buggers have thinner, longer feathers that are soft and webby.

As Jay said, TCO, French Creek Outfitters, The Sporting Gentleman all have what you need. Good luck.

So from what ive read, saddle hackle has feathers that would be better for wets and buggers, and necks have finer feathers that are better for dries?

Peacock Herls: For a pheasant tail I am reading that I need finer herls from the tip of the eye. If I buy an eyed tail will I be able to use those herls for the prince nymph as well?

chstrcntyfish wrote:
So from what ive read, saddle hackle has feathers that would be better for wets and buggers, and necks have finer feathers that are better for dries?

Peacock Herls: For a pheasant tail I am reading that I need finer herls from the tip of the eye. If I buy an eyed tail will I be able to use those herls for the prince nymph as well?

I think you are good on the hackle thing from what others have offered...biggest thing is only spend what you can afford on hackle...if you are buying a whole or half neck...you should start out with a decent grade 2 neck...a grade one neck is too expensive and frankly, I've never bought one. If you need something with smaller hackles, thats the time to buy the 100 packs...

As for wing cases..thing plastic baggies cut into strips or any thing else you can find lying around that you can cut into the shape you need cases...the wing case of the prince nymph is white GOOSE biot...cheaper and smaller then turkey biots...

Peacock herl is peacock herl...I bought a strung bunch 20 years ago and am still using the same bunch...its like it never runs out...I have used it for zug bugs, prince nymphs, PTs, used the bare quills for mayfly bodies...You name it...its like the stuff reproduces in the drawer...its cheap and don't waste you money on any thing claiming to be from any special part of the bird.

Is hen hackle really needed for a prince nymph? Can I just use saddle hackle? I thought I had it figured out that I would just buy saddle hackle, but now I need hen hackle...and now im thinking maybe I should buy some for dries as well so I can tie until spring. Do I really need three different things? I read somewhere that hen capes can be used for wooly buggers is that true? That way I could buy a dry fly neck and a hen neck and I would be able to tie all of the flies

try flyshack.com , I just started tying in the last few months and this is where I have been getting my tying supplies. Good amount of materials for the prices.

Maybe someone could recommend a good book on flytying?
I have some old fly tying books that explain all this stuff, but mine are probably all out of print now. But surely there must be some current titles that explain the basics of flytying, materials, patterns etc.?

I like "Poul Jorgensen's Book Of fly Tying".

When I get my oil changed I hang out in the Barnes and noble across the street until my car is ready...there are a lot of good tying books in the sports section. Just flip thru them until you find one that you can follow easily. Some are not illustrated well, some are difficult to understand and some are extremely elementary...you just have to find the one that YOU can use.

Back