Fly of the month

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
I really enjoyed putting up the fly tying post about the BWO CDC Cripple by Dean Meyers. I got a lot of good feedback and interest in that post. I had a couple of members suggest that we make that a more regular thing on the site.

I couldn't agree more. Almost like the Fly of the Month was the suggestion from Afish.

Still sorting through the best way to do this, please let me know if you would like to participate. October is upon us already and maybe someone has a cool fly they like use in the month of November we could feature in a couple of weeks.

Dave

Excellent idea.

Excellent idea Dave just don't use pictures of Afish's flies you don't want to give people the wrong impression about the people on the site . Don't get me wrong though Afish's flies still catch fish.

While I think about it stay away from Jack's flies to . :lol:

Great idea!

How about a fly of the month (someone list them for the next year.) and everyone interested post a pic and material list (step x step is optional)

I think without the tutorial (just pic and recipe) there could be a fly of the week.

Fly of the week runs the good ones out quicker than fly of the month, monthly fly makes it that much harder for everyone to get in there, and good submissions might be bumped.

But...

Why not, as an active userbase, sieze the opportunity to start submitting monthly "contests," even if there's no pay out. October? Big streamers, and we all post 'em up, put them into the gallery and then a blogpost can be made featuring the entries. November? Steelhead, post your favourite steelhead fly. December? Christmas, make 'em somehow on topic, whether it be tinsel, red/green, etc.

This lets everyone get into the action, starts discussion, and allows the website to feature some of the users' talents in place. Additionally, sometimes there's a fly that really stands out, whether by production, accuracy, or even clarity of presentation,a nd there's your fly of the month for the next month.

The "blog" function could be so very much more. I've seen more come up as time moves on, and it'd be nice to see even more features from some of the people here.

Love the enthusiasm. I am older, but still need to walk before I can run. Maybe it is because I am older.

What I think makes a post like this work is a little bit of background of why this "fly of the month" works for that month. Maybe a little bit of a fun story with how the fly was created, used or the day you caught a 50 trout with it. A straight forward materials and step by step with some photos would be great.

I would like to get a post ready for mid October for a pattern well suited for the end of Oct-Nov. Please let me know if you have an idea and don't ever worry if we have too many people we still have 12 more months to fill behind it. :)

Bring it on.

I think it would be cool to have several entries each month and let the board members vote to see who get the win.

Kinda like slab of the month on the chum

Great idea IMO
I would think that steelhead flies would be very appropriate for the next few months.

Although I don't ty, I think it would be interesting ...great idea!

PaulG

Fredrick wrote:
Excellent idea Dave just don't use pictures of Afish's flies you don't want to give people the wrong impression about the people on the site . Don't get me wrong though Afish's flies still catch fish.

While I think about it stay away from Jack's flies to . :lol:

Fred, don't worry your tying is improving. Someday, with a lot of practice, you may be able to tie a decent trout fly. Keep practicing with your 2/0 hooks tying magnum slump busting bullet head whirling bunny leech wiggle flash hair stimmies.

I call no underwater bugs allowed!

All votes are in and tallied. I like DryFlyGuys idea for the Steelhead. I know you guys have some great stuff you are tying up who would like to jump in on this. Please let me know.

If you need some help with or questions it please just PM. Really pretty easy.

dkile wrote:
All votes are in and tallied. I like DryFlyGuys idea for the Steelhead. I know you guys have some great stuff you are tying up who would like to jump in on this. Please let me know.

If you need some help with or questions it please just PM. Really pretty easy.

I can't wait to see the steelie dry flies submitted.

Attachments

• Purple Steelie eater.jpg
    Purple Steelie eater.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5
Pellet Flies maybe?

Great Idea.

Why have a win ? just tie and post em. good way to compare patterns. this should get pinned to the top of the tying forum too..
discussions should be on another page so as to not cover any late ones coming in...2 pinned pages...

FWIW, Sandy, I think you should submit something to the blog on forgotten fly tying materials...

Hi,

Just want to thanks to Ryan for submitting his FOTM in the blog! Very nice and I am sure you guys will enjoy it up in Erie!

Dave

Back