Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Flies for the big day

chstrcntyfish,

If you are going to try and tie some glo bugs and want to go out and get some yarn, you may want to look into mcfly foam. I bought a bunch of glo bug yarn a couple years ago that I haven't touched since buying mcfly foam. For me, it is much easier to work with. However, you might find it the other way around, so maybe get both if you can and see what works better for you.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 10:44

From Bozeman
Agreed on the mcfly foam

Posted on: 2008/2/29 11:04

From Chester County
chstrcntyfish wrote: “I don't have glo bug yarn yet so I figured I would try a pattern I found on google that uses chenelle. I tried that it doesn't look exactly like an egg though. (Also, it was white chanelle so I colored it with a sharpie, so now its RED...)”

I’ve caught many steelhead and trout on Chenille eggs like the one you tied up in the picture. Tip, dub on a little Lite Brite or Antron yarn and comb in out and leave some fine sparkly strands to hover around the egg. The fish seem to like it.

Another thing, Sharpies (or any other permanent marker brand) are a great way to color materials without buying many different colors of the same stuff. Often times I buy light colored material and use the markers to color them (including tying thread).

Nice job on the flies. Every one of those flies you tied will catch fish. Don’t worry about perfection in fly tying – the fish mind a lot less than the fishermen. Many times the funkier tied flies or the beat up ones catch the most fish. Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 11:19

I hope they catch fish....even if they don't need to be perfect it would definitly make me feel better spending all that money on materials. Sounds like I might tie some more of those eggs for the time being. I'll have to find more sharpies.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 15:34

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
59 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com