Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Flick's variants

From Ferguson Twp.
Nice, I'll be watching for them.

Posted on: 1/26 12:17

From York & Starlight, PA
What are they called when tied without tails? I remember Harry Darbee used to tie them with so the hackles were opposing. I'm not getting the correct language - two hackles tied in shiny side towards the bend and two hackles shiny side towards the eye.

Posted on: 1/26 14:58

Quote:

wbranch wrote:
What are they called when tied without tails? I remember Harry Darbee used to tie them with so the hackles were opposing. I'm not getting the correct language - two hackles tied in shiny side towards the bend and two hackles shiny side towards the eye.

That's a Hewitt Skater or Spider. I'm not sure which term is preferred.

Here's an article by Ed Shenk about them.
http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?opti ... content&task=view&id=2992

Posted on: 1/26 17:49

Troutbert.

Thanks for reminding me of the name "Skater". I was going to add initially to my post about pressing the hackles together but decided to omit it thinking it unecessary. I've tied some over the years but don't have any in my boxes now. As much as I use thorax and compara-duns once in awhile on the Delaware as I float down alone in my Hyde I'll tie on a #10 Grey Fox Variant (long after the bug is gone) and throw fifty footers up near the banks and skate them on long leaders just to see the trout chase after them.

Posted on: 1/26 19:19

From Souderton PA
Spiders are not variants. The hackle on spiders (or skaters) is much longer, usually greater than 2 inches in diameter. They are typically tied on smaller hooks without a tail. Variants are typically wingless, but all wingless dry flies are not variants. A variant is tied with a hackle over sized 2-3X.
Variants do a good job of mimicking the light pattern of the natural and sit very delicately on the water moving with the breeze and current. They seem to be alive. There is really no point in winging them because the hackle would obscure the wing unless it was made ridiculously out of proportion. But the effectiveness of the variant has nothing to do with the lack of wing. Standard dry flies need wings to land correctly and present a natural profile. Yes, you can catch fish on wingless dry flies, but winged fly will perform better. Why else would folks like Gordon and Cross and Flick have gone to the trouble of tying them on?
Mike.

Posted on: 1/26 19:48

FrequentTyer wrote;

"Spiders are not variants. The hackle on spiders (or skaters) is much longer, usually greater than 2 inches in diameter."

Yep, that is why I offered comment #13 on page 1.

Posted on: 1/26 20:53

From PA and NH
Great book that streamside guide, I still fish the wet Flick's variant.

Posted on: 1/27 8:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com