Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Finally got one side of the nymph box finished

From Portage, PA
Wondering if those that said they would not use a nymph that does not follow traditional proportions, have ever tried a nymph with a longer tail, or if this is just done from what you have read out of a book or magazine some where. I have used both and tied flies both following standard proportions and the longer tails and thicker bodies, like those on the hares ear. From my own personal testing, these work better for me.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:09

Edited by mike_richardson on 2013/4/16 8:32:35
Edited by mike_richardson on 2013/4/16 8:33:46
Edited by mike_richardson on 2013/4/16 8:50:01

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Mike, of course most of us have used flies that we tied that were not proportionally right. It is part of the learning curve when we are becoming better tyers. We do not sell them to people though. Yes...they will catch fish. However, you are testing them on stocked pellet heads. I would say the body proportions are your bigger problem and not the tails as much.

In regards to the repeat satisfied customers.....that is fine and dandy, but the point is to grow a business. Not keep selling to the ones that are not knowledgeable about tying and what nymphs are supposed to look like.

Edit: Now why did you go and delete your whole comment? I was trying to have a nice conversation with you.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:31

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Portage, PA
Becker. I sent you a pm as I would rather converse about this through pm.

You are making valid points with you response and did not want to delete all of the comment but I hit cut instead of copy. .

Posted on: 2013/4/16 8:49

From SE PA - Montgomery County
Every year I tie up some new flies and I always hate the ones I did the previous year.

You learn with time and practice and you never stop learning.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 16:19

From NC PA Mountains
Let you in on one little secret...it's not all ablout catching fish....
Here's something to try...tie 2 dozen flies..all the same pattern & size. If one looks a little different, or they ALL don't look the same..you still have a ways to go. They ALL should look like copies of each other.

Posted on: 2013/4/16 18:37

From Norwich, CT
Quote:

I typically do not tie the flies for customers as i do my own. I take more time on theirs and follow propotions more. These are more my own personal preferences as I said.

why do you have separate rules for customers and yourself?

wouldnt it be adventageous for you and your customers to have the same rules and tie better flies?

Posted on: 2013/4/17 12:33

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com