Finally got one side of the nymph box finished

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

2013-04-11_08-04-42_231_zpsbcedb98f.jpg

Stayed up late last night but got the one side of my nymph box finished. I will be completeing the anchor side today. Tied up some wooly buggers as well. I cant wait to hit up the Little J tomorow. I just hope it isn't blown out, will be checking the USGS conditions like a hawk.

I like a little longer tail on my nymphs. Is anyone else share that preference?

Do you think i like to fish with bead heads? LOL

BradFromPotter wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:
2013-04-11_08-04-42_231_zpsbcedb98f.jpg

I like a little longer tail on my nymphs. Is anyone else share that preference?

No.

Agreed. Short strikes suck and proportions are important.

You should care less about what you like and more about what the fish like...

I find the longer tails catch more fish so I am caring about what the fish like ;)

Agreed. Short strikes suck and proportions are important.

You should care less about what you like and more about what the fish like...

agree with the above

no long tails on my flies

Agreed. I'd try making the tails a bit shorter, and also using less fibers, about half as many.

But you can send me those for testing, while you tie new ones!

mike_richardson wrote:
I find the longer tails catch more fish so I am caring about what the fish like ;)

As a self proclaimed lover of stockie chasing this comes as no surprise.

troubert send me your address ill send you a couple to test out.

The J jumped over 650 with that rain last night. Not safe to wade at that discharge and there's more rain on the way tonight.

I saw that peen. I may have to hit up yellow creek. It might be high but shouldnt be chocolaty. What is the cut off for unfishable on the J? 650 cfs?

650 is way out of the question. My limit is 450 - At that discharge the water is moving and has some serious force behind it that can make wading sketchy. I know that river well and know what spots to hit up given the discharge. If you are unfamiliar with the J I would wait until it gets down around 400 because if its off color and you don't know the best places to cross/wade/step you could be going for a swim.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it but it looks like my excitment for finally fishing the J has died. Oh well yellow creek is always a good back up. I may hit up spring creek if it is not roaring. I will have areport on Spring soon

At 400 cfs, I'd think about finding a different place to fish. I'm not as familiar with the river so that's my limit

And you should probably be tossing streamers and not those nymphs ;-)

Agreed gun, I tied up 10 tungsten buggers last night for the potential flood. LOL most are black or pearl in color

Where is all your small stuff? Looks like all those nymphs are 14 or bigger.

I feel your ribbing is way to big for those nymphs in the second row from the right. But what the heck do I know, you are the professional tyer.

SBecker wrote:
I feel your ribbing is way to big for those nymphs in the second row from the right. But what the heck do I know, you are the professional tyer.

Yes, and if you fish them as a wet fly DO NOT add weight or use a floating line. Mine eyes have been opened.

Good luck with those on the j lol...maybe they match the "proportions" of the "abundant" amount of aquatic insects found in the little conemaugh. Seeing the work of a "professional" tyer always makes me so much more confident in my skills lol.

Back