Favorite fly to tie

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Just something I thought of reading the favorite/least favorite fly to fish.I enjoy the challenge of tying up a new pattern. Usually the first one or two I tie up sit in front of me, as each one gets better I cut apart the worst looking ones to reuse the hooks. Yes I am anal and have thought about just putting them aside to give away or donate. But to me they are unacceptable even though they probally would float ok.

Anyway of late I have been working on a spent wing caddis which I would say is one of my favorites to tie up.

As of late, it's me bubble emerging caddis.

I don't know if I have a favorite pattern to tie, I think it changes way too often for me.

I don't think I have a favorite one to tie... I just enjoy tying. It relaxes me after a long day at work. I don't tie anything too complicated, but grasshoppers frustrate me lol. They take too long, and get torn up by the bass and panfish I catch on them.

The fly I tie a lot of that I enjoy because I'm pretty good at it, and it catches a bunch of fish, is probably a weighted bead head prince.

I'm ashamed to say that I tied some pellet flies today for the fresh stockies I'm fishing over on Saturday... :-(

I've snuck home for lunch a few times in the past couple weeks to get a few more flies tied here and there... I'm not prepared for the season by any means.

Unlike most people here, I tie purely for the fact that I need flies. It's often too tedious of me. I'd say a pheasant tail, green weenie, or foam ant. I'm looking for the highest ratio of effectiveness to difficulty.

Pellets? How do you tie those? I found some rabbit droppings I was gonna super glue to a #16 scud hook just for snickers and giggles to see if I could get stockies to hit those.

I love any dry with a wonder wing.

Attachments

• dry.jpg
    dry.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2
Even though I haven't caught much on it, I really like tying royal wulffs. With all those bright contrasting colors, it's just a really neat looking fly IMO

I think dryflyguy is on to something.

I too like tying dries more than nymphs. However, I have to be in the right/focused state of mind.

I think dries are more asthetically pleasing to the eye.

Deer hair hoppers. I haven't tied many of them but I really like what they look like when I am finished

in my infant stages of fly tying, probably buggers

For me its the Green Weenie . I think you could fish the world with this pattern and not be disapointed. The fly i dont tie is any that take more than three minutes to tie and that my friends is alot of patterns.

pellet flies... I literally tied a micochenelle double wrapped on a hook in brown... that one sinks... or just tie a brown beetle for the floaters.

Tried them for the first time the other day... didn't have my polarized sunglasses and was really at a disadvantage... I'll try them again sometime soon... will just use them on a dropper of either another nymph or a dry.

Pheasant tail...easy and super effective

jhguster23 wrote:
Pheasant tail...easy and super effective

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever caught a fish on a pheasant tail lol. I know it's amazing, but that's one of those flies that I just don't have the confidence in, and don't tie it on too often. Unless it's a specific nymph, my basic nymph patterns are either a HE or prince.

Back