Fall Patterns

TLoomis

TLoomis

Hey all

What is everyone tying to get ready for fall trout fishing? I'm going to be swinging streamers a lot this year. Mostly because I love tying them, but also because it seems to be really effective in the fall. I will post up some pictures when I get back from class later of what I have tied so far. Steelhead flies are welcome as well

Ty

Here's what I've got so far. First I started trying some scully patterns in different colors, before I received my fish skulls. I've only fished the one in the picture with trout drawing, but I really like it. I was worried the epoxy head would make it spin in the water.

PS, I love tying these game changers, and they fish greaaaat.

IMG_20130913_115702.jpg

IMG_20130913_144749.jpg

IMG_20130916_225210.jpg

IMG_20130916_221153.jpg

Flies are great. Talking fish is very funny.

very nice, well done. is that a wild brownie on the white board?

"Give me that Filet-O-Fish, give me that fish"

Its got a blue cheek patch.

This is my first post on this forum, so be gentle

This is the "prototype" of my new trout immitation which I call "Hannibal Lecter". Its got a nice rounded front profile. I ordered some fly masks, to clean this pattern's head up a bit and also got some different triple dyed rabbit to tie brighter ones with more yellows and burnt oranges in them. I'm fishing the Yough and other streams for a few days later this month and came up with these for that trip. about 4 inches

2872fdf0_DSCN2015.jpeg

In not jumping on the magical game changer bandwagon. There's no magical fly.

I agree with pacofrancisco. There is no magic fly.

Agreed on "no magic fly". I think a good streamer fisherman could catch big trout on a sock tied to a hook if they present it properly

All the flies above are pretty nice. most of the fall fishing i do is either for brookies or on small to medium sized limestoners, so i've been tying sculpins in different colors, general attractor patterns for brookies, and some big articulated streamers for the bigger browns. it seems like the limestone browns are really starting to key on streamers. My brother and i were fishin a smallish limestoner last weekend and we were catching some fish on a dry-dropper, but mostly smaller ones in the 8-13" range. I threw on a black shenk's sculpin and caught a 15-16" brown in the first hole i fished. We only fished for another 20 minutes or so after that, and i moved fish in every spot after that. Im not much of a streamer fisherman, but man are they fun.

Some of my big streamers are like casting a wet sock.

I was never much of a streamer fisherman until this year and I have to say it's pretty addicting. I don't catch as many fish as other methods, but the fish they produce are always nice. Plus, the aggressive hits are addicting.

I'll be posting up some pictures tomorrow. Hittin the little J hard on Sunday for the first time in a while so I'm gonna fill the boxes. It's on!

the J is really clear and skinny now. IMO leave the heavy meat at home. Take smaller, more subtle streamer patterns.

When you tie those stingers off the back, what keeps them from fouling like crazy?

Good question haha. I used to just tie them with 15 lb test and no beads, but learned quickly that doesn't work well. I started sending my mono through a piece of stretch tubing, through the eye, then back through the tubing, and that seems to keep it from flying around and getting caught up better. There's definitely better ways though I am sure, just using what I have haha

Thanks, I've never tied stingers off the back of my single hooked streamers. Do you notice that you get a good amount of fish on that hook, or does it increase your hookup rate? I've had short strikers before, but always found that the big nasties either intercept the fly at its head, or trail the fly, back off, then smash it broadside. Those boradside hits are my favorite. Pure fishy violence.

Also, this guy has been getting murdered by bass all season, and will get a test run on nightime browns this fall. I was two handed stripping it and a bass hit it like one of those White Sharks you see annihilating seals on the Discovery Channel. One of the coolest takes I've ever seen

ddddfb72_DSCN1204.jpeg

Nice tie!!! Looks killer. I was fishing a small mouse pattern on spring creek two nights ago and had 5 hits, but no hookups. Some of the hits looked like the trout just missed it, but a few felt like I needed to tie it with a wider gapped hook.

Also, the stinger has definitely helped me more than once. The reason I started tying it in was because I missed like 4 fish in a row the from short strikes one day. The one even had the whole tail of the sculpin in it's mouth

Heres one a little more colored up with a Fish Mask. About 5 inches.

01936d6a_DSCN2060.jpeg

I think a lot I short strikes come from a angler seeing the fish and settin before they feel the fish. These things are professional predators they make a living not missin there food. I never seen a predator brown, pike or musky not broadside or totally engulf a prey item. A line tail grab in nature is just not efficient meen on grabbing food

Back