HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: emerger

From York & Starlight, PA
Mr Gutcutter wrote,

"The pattern you have would be better if you put two, or three together."

I concur 100%. I tie pretty much all my duns and emegers with CDC wings and I grab a bunch of feathers from the bag and look for three feathers that are symmetrical and have a nice full shape. Then I place one on top of the other until all three are like one and if the tips are not even I use my thumb and forefinger to slide them up, or down. Then I hold the three in my right hand with the tips towards the tail, I transfer the three feathers to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand and do three semi tight turns with the thread and then when I see the wing is situated properly I cinch it down with 5 - 7 more thread wraps. I too only use the tips of the CDC and discard the rest.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:35

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I use the tips, but instead of throwing the rest of the feather away, I trim the remaining barbs off. I have small bead containers that interlock. I use these to keep custom dubbings. I have one for each color of cdc feather I use. I then will use these cdc extras to mix with dubbings or to add to a dubbing loop for my nymphs.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:45

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From York & Starlight, PA
Neat idea to save the CDC barbules to use for other purposes.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 2:49

From LV
looks good, your lighting needs adjustment, make it more even and try not to use the flash.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:58

From Peasant Gap
+1 to becker. I use the tips only for wings. I keep a bag of the stubs and strip the fibers off when I need them. I use them for spinner wings or to place in split thread for hackle.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 20:36

Make sure the wing will float the fly once it becomes wet. The body should stay well into the water. If you can't float it, you can't see it and that makes it really hard to fish. I do a lot more snowshoe hare's foot now that Jonas has preached the gospel to me enough that I listened. I still use CDC, just use enough so that it's somewhat dense. Pre-waterproof it. You should be able to soak-up your fly then flick it dry. You should be able to pull it under the surface and have it pop back to the top. It'll work well if you do that. I also "post" my wing by making a few consolidating wraps around the base. It seems to let the body hang correctly in the water and the wing to stay up well. Feather and hair coming out to the side can make your fly sit on its side in the water.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 22:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com