Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Elsie 2/0

From Philadelphia
i always use subs if i dont have something on hand - rabbit fur instead of muskrat....goose quill instead of duck, goose shoulder instead of swan.
Provided the color is correct, or as close as makes no difference to my eye, then i'm happy.
Bear in mind, in years past, feathers were purchased 'as is' i.e. as they came from the bird, and often dyed by the tyers.
There is a great chapter in Malone's Book - Irish Trout and Salmon Flies, which gives the materials used to dye the necessary colors. As you can imagine, there was quite a variation.

If you look at Carrie Stevens Streamers, she only had the materials made available to her, and often the range of colors between flies was dramatic. In Hilyards book there is page of Gray Ghosts, with few (if any) having the same color wing.

For display flies, atlantic salmon flies and Rangeley streamers, I try to use the exact material specified in the pattern. however, that is not always financially attainable, in the case of Indian crow, Blue Chatterer and Toucan, where i use very reasonable subs.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 13:02

From Monessen, PA
There is imitative art and original art. Both have their place in the realm of what is pleasant to look at. Have you seen my iron blue dun wet with brown hen-hackle tail?

Posted on: 2013/7/27 13:11

From Philadelphia
aint seen it.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 13:14

From PA and NH
There is no need to tie traditional patterns with the indicated original materials as the source tyers are long gone and the original patterns are variations , you can be sure, of what started out in some fisherman's mind. I fish for Atlantics in the fall, stockers but salmon all the same, and catch them on streamers . They are particular as to what they eat but they eat my sports jackets as well as Eunan's tuxedos and down to the shorts and a tshirt of a bugger. It's presentation and time of day, not florican bustard and Andean condor primary feathers that determine success. Ive seen them eat Alder flies tied dry, but that's another kettle of fish.(insert emoticon)

Posted on: 2013/7/27 14:01

From Armstrong County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I have always held to the belief that trout are dumb and exact replicas of traditional flies was an unnecessary expense.

If you ascertain that trout are dumb then why question whether or not these flies are fishable?

Posted on: 2013/7/27 15:40

From Carlisle PA
Without a doubt, Eunanhendron is very talented. However, when I I look at the Fly Tying section, I expect to see photos and/or tying instructions for "fishable" flies.

Perhaps a section for DESIGNER Flies would be better suited for those so inclined.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 22:46

From Souderton PA
Quote:

joebamboo wrote:
Without a doubt, Eunanhendron is very talented. However, when I I look at the Fly Tying section, I expect to see photos and/or tying instructions for "fishable" flies.

Perhaps a section for DESIGNER Flies would be better suited for those so inclined.

This is taking an odd turn. I don't fish streamers, therefor any streamer thread would not fit the "fishable" category according to my expectations. Should I request a separate section for streamer flies? Posts on classic patterns generate plenty of interest and relevant comments (present thread excluded). As in pretty much every aspect of adult life, if you don't like what you see then go look at something else.
And in case you somehow missed it, Eunan's flies are perfectly capable of catching fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 7:37

From Gettysburg
Quote:

joebamboo wrote:

Understandable. However, there are indeed many such threads with step by step directions for "fishable" flies. It would be impossible to separate designer flies from practical ones. A big part of the fly tying hobby is artistic and creative and such flies are a good fit with the Fly Tying forum. As I've argued many times before, tying artistic or unconventional flies will make one a better tyer all around and provide insight into techniques that can then be used for more conventional flies being tied for the fly box rather than the shadowbox.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 8:34

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
when i do married wing flys they go in a fly box to be used. Not as nice as Eunan"s though.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 9:35

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

joebamboo wrote:

Understandable. However, there are indeed many such threads with step by step directions for "fishable" flies. It would be impossible to separate designer flies from practical ones. A big part of the fly tying hobby is artistic and creative and such flies are a good fit with the Fly Tying forum. As I've argued many times before, tying artistic or unconventional flies will make one a better tyer all around and provide insight into techniques that can then be used for more conventional flies being tied for the fly box rather than the shadowbox.

I think you are a prime example of the simple question Gary was asking. Your "artistic" flies are works of art that are often incorporated into print/framed art. Your "daily beaters" may not be tied to that level, however that ability and high quality certainly result in above average flies in your personal box (based upon casual posts of flies that you posted in response others).

Posted on: 2013/7/28 12:40

From LV
I always thought that the old salmon flies were used for fishing, back in the day.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:46

From Downingtown
I tie and fish married wings for steelhead in New York on the Salmon River. Yes they do work and they do not have to be perfect or works of art to be good fishing flies.

Just like any fly, every dog has it's day. I'll tell you what though......married wings look bad ass in the water and will always have a place in my salmon and steelhead box.

Here is a link to my blog that has some pictures of the married wings I have used.

http://www.glspeydee.blogspot.com/201 ... sday-november-1-2011.html

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:57

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
107 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com