Early Stone Fly Patterns

Coughlin

Coughlin

Anyone care to offer a favorite early black stonefly pattern.
Coughlin

We had this duscussion last march I think, but since the old board is gone...I googled this. There are simpler variations but this one looks good.

http://hipwader.com/2004/early-black-stonefly-nymph

Thanks, Gambler. Thats a good looking pattern. Guess I missed last March's discussion. Actually, I can find lots of patterns around, just wondering what the favorite might be for any of you and now that I think of it, how you usually fish it. I've never paid much attention to stoneflys before but have been doing a bit of research and would like to give them a try.
Coughlin

Down and dead is where I've have my best results. They are especially effective in the winter as they are a big bite for a hungry, cold trout. The only difference between that pattern and what I might tie, (depending on how lazy I am at the moment) sometimes my abdomen is only larva lace and if I'm tying black I tie black...this looks kinda brown but...

Gambler,
Thanks again. Haven't done a whole lot by way of winter fishing in the past ( and probably won't do a heck f a lot this year either ) but stoneflys sounded like a good alternative to my usual assortment of woolybuggers. They also looked like a neat fly to tie up, though my first attempts have been lumpier than I like. The patterns using larva lace look interesting, so I think I'll give that a try as well as the more impressionistic versions.
Coughlin

I love larva lace for a lot of things. The hard part is trying to actually find the stuff that is round and hollow. Theres penty of stuff like Schwunandaze (sp) thats flat and i don't like that as much. I've used the round stuff for anything from ribbing, to abdomen on nymphs to caddis larva (now there's an easy and effective tie) . I just like the fullness rather than the flat.

I love larva lace for a lot of things. The hard part is trying to actually find the stuff that is round and hollow.

Here you go Tomgamber.
Stalcup's Tubing: Hollow narrow tubes you can use for bodies. Sizes: Midge or Standard: Colors: Black, Blood Red, Clear, Olive, Orange, Peacock, Yellow, Pheas-Tail, Tan. $1.75

You can but it here--http://www.eflytyer.com/order_info/oi_synthetics.html

Hope this helps.

JaD

You can fin anything (and I usually do) on the internet. When I need somethig now, waiting a weeek to get it doesn't help. I've even found varigated chenille (the one thing I can never find) on the net. All of the local places I know of don't sell either.

Saw an ad for V-rib at Hille. I suspect that's flat rather than the oval. Yes?
Coughlin

While perusing a craft store (AC Moore I believe), I found some coated copper wire. It comes in small and progressively larger diameters. Also, its made in different colors – black, copper, gray, olive. I got the idea to use it for stonefly ties as well as brassies, copper johns, and ribbing on various flies. It works great and has the added bonus of adding weight to the fly and a little glow. I usually taper the underbody and wind the wire over the abdomen of the stonefly.

One other trick when using larva lace, is to wrap the underbody with tinsel, crystal flash, or anything shiny or metallic. The translucent larva lace in the lighter colors takes on a glow that trout seem to be very found of.

Coughlin – the tiny winter black stoneflies are very slender and are size #16 nymph hook or even smaller. Larva lace would be too bulky for them. You may want to use sparse black dubbing with a black or silver wire rib, or an all black wire abdomen when tying these flies.

I agree with afishinado. Those early black stones are really small. The ones where I live are about size 14 and are really skinny. I would by a 25 pack of 2X long size 14 or 16 hooks to tie a more realistic imitation. However, in the midst of Winter, A big meal will potentially get a fish to move (finishing with a violent strike). Where a small fly will have to be presented practically in fronth of the fish's nose (taken with just a sip).

Mike & Afishinado,
Thanks for the advice. I have no experience with these flies (oddly enough), though I do fish a Brooks Stone fly imitation later in the season. So for the early black it sounds like 14 standard or 16 2x long. I'm not really a big fan of realistic patterns, but the stone fly seems sort of a neat insect to try and get closer to form.

Anyway, this has been helpful. Thanks.
Coughlin

I printed out an Early Black Stone Fly pattern probably a year ago or maybe more from the old board that was submitted by Chaz. Never got to tie it, but was thinking about it this fall. It is a very thin fly with a sparse deer hair wing...size 18 dry. There is also a pattern in the fly tying, fly swap 2004 thread on this site...Tied by Brad Birely. I have a question related to this, if you would indulge me. In the Lehigh Valley and surrounding area, when should we start to see these flies or fish them?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Schiff

This is one of my favorite hatches...or at least it used to be. First let me say that the Early black and brown stones are #16-#20. #14 is on the lanky side. Although I've seen some larger, it will serve you well to not put all your eggs in one basket and stick with #16 & #18 My pattern is like this...

Dry fly hook #16 -#18. Black Body. white or gray poly wing, spent down wing style (over the body a little past the bend of the hook) and a Gray or grizzley hackle (4-5 turns at least.)

This fly is best used when the flies are coming back to lay their eggs where they hit the crik and skitter along the surface. Because the hatch itself consists of the nymphs moving to the shallows and climbing onto rocks to molt into adults, the nymph is not a big player in the fishing aspect of the LBS pattern. But I do tie a biot stone for use as a dropper when I am feeling under confident. It also acts as a balast when skittering and sometimes the trout cannot resist the nymph.

Another popular nymph is the Gallagher stone which is nothing more than a black body, no tail, a silver rib, and a soft hackle.

To answer the other question, you should begin to see them over the next month through early april (I saw a #18 today) with their concentration being during the sunny warm days even when the snow is on the ground. (in Feb & March) It seems the sun and warming of water triggers the hatch.

Good Luck,

Maurice

Maurice, great info...thanks much. Thanks also to the rest of you guys for expanding this Stone Fly thread, just when I happened to be thinking about them. Timing is everything.

Maurice - it is a fun hatch and it’s the only game in town in the winter, except for midges. Trying to tie on a size #28 midge with freezing hands gets old quickly.

I tie a similar dry pattern:

Hook - #18 dry fly
Tail – 2 black dyed deer or elk fibers split
Body – black synthetic dubbing – tied very THIN and tapered
Overbody – Black deer or elk hairs tied flat over body just short of the hook bend
Wing – black colored (with marker) tyvek cut to shape (elongated tear drop) extending slightly past the hook bend
Hackle – black or dark dun

Skittering the fly sounds like a good plan. I’ll have to give it a try that way. The tandem dry with a nymph dropper is a good idea. I do have some success with nymphs in the margins of the stream when I see them crawling on the bank in the snow. Most guys stand in the water that they should be fishing in. I suppose most fish are too lethargic to rise, and take the nymph when it’s put right in front of its nose. The nymph pattern I use is very simple:

Hook - # 16 Scud / pupa hook or #18 nymph hook
Tails – 2 split black deer or elk fibers
Body - THIN black synthetic dubbing
Rib – black or silver wire
Thorax – black /dark gray dubbing - natural fur with lots of guard hairs
Head – small (2.0MM) black bead

No need for a wing case on such a small fly. I also tie up some nymphs substituting the dubbed abdomen with all black wire to add more weight to the fly.

I haven’t fished much lately during winter stonefly time. I fished it all the time when I lived in the Poconos a few years ago. I’m going to make it my business to fish the stonefly hatch this winter. Heck, somebody has to do it!

Everyone and their families – have a great holiday!

try black woven stone
tail -black biots
body-black embroidery thread (woven)
thorax-black dubbing ,black hackle,black
wing case-black quill or swiss straw
sizes-14-18
hook-dry or nymph

This is excellent information. Thanks to all.
Coughlin

Here's mine:

Hook: 3906B start with 12, but go down to 16 if I need too (which isn't often)
Tail: Sparse short black calftail
Abdomen: Black wool yarn
Wing Case: Gray Antron
Thorax: Black wool yarn - same as abdomen only a touch thicker
Hackle: One turn of black hen.

Tie it slim. Occasionally I add a black bead for weight.

Many winters this is the only fly I use.

This is good stuff. Maurice, I tied a couple using the pattern you described. They look very fishy. Am copying other patterns now and will give them a try. If anyone subscribes to American Angler, there's an early black stonefly article. Actually, if you don't subscribe, look for it on the news stands, there are a number of good articles for us East coast guys.
Coughlin

Back