Dubbing colour for Sulphur patterns.

gfen

gfen

Hello... What colours do you use for sulpher patterns?

I've got some Superfine "Pale Yellow," I had purchased but when I looked around to find some ideas for egg sacks, it looks as if many people tie their Sulphur patterns with a darker body, and use a bright yellow for the egg sack.

I was under the impression that the orange sack was bright orange, so I was going to just use some orange yarn fibres to act as orange dubbing.

Dry I generally tie sulfur bodies in various shades including sulfur yellow, pale yellow, yellow, off-white, pale orange, etc. Sometimes I add orange or white or yellow ribbing. As for hackle, some are tied with cream hackle and some with light ginger. You never know - sometimes one works when the others won't.

Nymphs are also an assortment of color shades and combinations. Burgundy, olive/tan, olive brown, pale yellow, etc. I've found the Whitlock blend for abdoment and thorax works really well.

I should have specified dries, although the nymph aspect is much apprechiated.

I was actually planning on making a collection of parachute sulphurs tonight with the pale yellow dubbing, orange egg sacks (on a few), and grizzly for the hackle, coz hell, everything uses grizzly. :)

Huh, maybe I need to rethink this. I know I don't have a ginger neck, and I'm not sure if the one I do have is really a cream or white, or just sort of a creamy white... Bah, what sit matter, I won't catch nuttin on no dry flies anyways.

Back to nymphs, I had read that they were a rusty red/brown colour, so I've tied up a few hare's ears in those colours.

I did try to get clever and make an emerger that had an olive-rusty thorax, a brown antron shuck, and a cream abdomen and CDC/white antron wing.

Sulphurs can be different on different streams - and depending on which species you're seeing.

My experience on streams that I fish (mainly Spring Creek) is that early duns (e. invaria) are a bright yellow with a definite orange cast.

The later e.dorothea duns may often be even more orange, especially around the thorax. But it depends.

I'd tie some that are more yellow and some that are more orange. I usually use a mix of Superfine Sulphur-Orange and Pale yellow.

See this post for a pic of the e.invaria on Spring Creek and the imitation that I had success with.

Spring Creek Stream Report

Here's a pic of some sulphur nymphs

I think that the one on the left is e.dorothea and the one on the right is e.invaria

invaria_nymph_2009_05_12.jpg

I think the nymphs are light brown.

I tie my dries with superfine "sulphur" dubbing.

I do change the color of the tails and hackle; ranging from cream to dark ginger. Being the fussy tier that I am, the tails and the hackle match.

The egg sack is bright orange.

Last Sunday on the LL the sulphurs appeared to be more of a shade of orange rather than yellow or even pale yellow. Of course all my flies were tied with sulphur yellow. I got skunked!

littlelehigh wrote:
Last Sunday on the LL the sulphurs appeared to be more of a shade of orange rather than yellow or even pale yellow. Of course all my flies were tied with sulphur yellow. I got skunked!

C-Man, check your PM's. Your skunk will be history........Ed :-D

P.S. - Pay attention to the fish! Don't be afraid to go to pattern #4 when they're ignoring the other 3.

Gfen,
What i normally do is carry a film canister with me and catch one and take it home with me.When i get to my bench i'll start blending different types of dubbing until i find the exact color of the bug i brought home.This works for all bugs,nymphs i'll use a small glass sample jar with some water in it.And when you tie a nymph you should submerge it in the sample jar/because nymphs you tie look different when there wet.I showed this trick to an old friend of mine and he has had great sucess.Hope this helps you out.
tight lines,
Don

Gfen-

What Don says is true, and applies to Dries and Nymphs. Most dubbing turns darker when wet. That is important to remember in the process of trying to match colors.

JG

I use this for the nymph

this for the dun and this for spinners

gfen,

You have to consider the thread color when winding bodies on dry’s… as soon as it gets wet the dubbing and the thread will combine for the body color that the trout see.

I use Superfine dubbing for all my dry’s, and for the early sulphurs I combine Sulphur Orange dubbing with medium yellow thread and for the later, smaller variety I use Pale Yellow dubbing with pale yellow thread.

With rabbit fur, you could blend cream (very pale yellow) with red until you get the right shade of orange. I used to do this.Of course, the fur absorbs water but its so easy to get the right shade (if that's important to you).
For straight yellow I use pale yellow super fine.
For orange, I use amber super fine for dorothea spinners and sulphur orange for the dun.

I will upload a pic of a sulphur I took today it will be posted later.

here is the sulphur i managed to capture this evening. Sorry the pic sucks alittle bit but this is the best I can do with my camera.

the sulphurs tonight on fishing creek were a dull yellow, mixed with a little orange, with a green tint.

whats funny about that i think i came up with a drink,

the sulphur

lemon vodka
splash of orange juice
with a slice of lime

served in a 14, 16 or 18 oz glass

I have no idea. I just seen it hatching in Barree 2 nights ago and I took a pic of it. If I research more into the difference of spinners, dries, wets, nymphs, midges, and terrestials. THen I could give you a more defined answer but until then I really cant honestly say. Well because I dont know.

its a spinner....

and that sounds like a cool drink, shame i don't indulge anymore.

Back