Does anyone do this with hackle?

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I am just getting back in to dry fly tying. I am trying to cut down time on tying and was wondering if anyone does this.

I just got a large amount of material donated to me. Within this material was a hackle gage. I am not veteran enough to tell just by looking at the hackle what size it should be so I will be using this cheater device.

My question is how many of you. pull your hackle off, size it , and set it in a seperate storage bag marked with the appropriate size. I thought this would aid in cutting my time down and ensure better proportions.

I don't pull off any hackle until I measure it against the hackle gauge. I'm not tying large numbers of flies though.

Thanks chaz. I have to be able to get the best quality within about 2 hours from 4:30 am to 6:30 am and from 12:00 to 12:30. Figured it would cut down an lot of time to have them ready, and stripped at hand. But could also lose them would be a downfall.

Many tiers pre-size and sort their hackle in advance. I'm with Chaz. I don't tie enough hackled dry flies that the little bit of time it takes to measure each feather with the gauge and then pluck it from the skin causes me any grief.

Michael,

So you can stop subtly spamming out "I tie flies, would you like to buy some?" on a regular basis, allow me to answer 99% of your "how do I tie commercial flies quicker" questions before you have to ask them:

http://www.amazon.com/Production-Fly-Tying-Colllection-Variations/dp/0871087928

(it is not available through the PAFF book link, so you can buy it directly w/o feeling guilty)

Nice Link!

So you can stop subtly spamming out "I tie flies, would you like to buy some?" on a regular basis, allow me to answer 99% of your "how do I tie commercial flies quicker" questions before you have to ask them:

Lol.....I know right....it's getting old already.

never once asked a person to buy flies from me. I had given many people recipes when asked for them, and never onces solicited anyone. Would rather have people tie their own and said that many times. Offered to donate material to others, and tools to many who are just starting out.

I am not here to try to sell anything, If I would be I would purchase a sponsorship. I am just looking for ways to tie faster more effective patterns, and take advantage of the short time that I have to tie. Never put my link, never said my name or anything like that.

Do not pm me to purchase flies, will not sell to PAFF members.

Somebody needs to have a heart to heart with you man... can someobody from the other side of the tunnel get with this guy?

pm sent to request to have this thread deleted for spamming.

Thanks for the link

Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. You've got a lot of good ideas and my concern is that your energies are being spread far too thin on too many public service and/or for profit projects such that none will ever come to Fruition. Connemaugh restoration, portable fly tying, egg patterns, dry flies, stockie killers, this list grows on and on and on and you've got some really good ideas.

It's like you keep pulling out, I say stay in there and let's get the job done.

Thanks green. Taking a break from here for a bit. Might help me get more done.

I am with G.W.

It seems to me that you have been fly fishing and tying flies for a very long time and are passionate about the extensive knowledge and experience gathered along the way. Keep working at what you love and it will happen.

Don't be afraid to tell the internet bullies to "shut it!"

Thanks, i wouldn't call them bullies as much as pest, very mosquito like, but not as bad as a nagging wife. :)

Those 14hrs must have been damn productive. Welcome Back!!!

Jayson if you spent more time working and less time trolling on the interwebs, you could be as productive. Maybe....

Jason,

They were very productive. Tied, 3 dozen flies, and took a philosophy quiz before work, desinged and detailed a flatbed, researched DEP permits and grants at lunch, and am now designing an articulating crane mount for another flatbed. So yes they were quite productive. How is your day going?

I have been tying flies for fifty-six (56) years and I have never pulled hackles out of a cape to pre-sort them relative to different sizes to expedite my tying. But then I don't sell flies nor do I ever tie more than one dozen of anything at any tying session.

Sometimes when I'm tying a feather may come out of the cape, or saddle, that I didn't want or the barbules may have been too short/long for that fly and then I put it into an envelope but I don't mark the envelope.

I have a perfect solution for you if you can't yet determine the proper barbule length for the dries you are tying; buy Hoffman or Whiting dry fly saddles in grade #1 & #2. The feathers on these saddles are 6" - 8" long and the barbule length is pretty much the same from the base to the tip of the feather.

You can get saddles that tie #10 - #12, #14 - #16, #18 - #22. There is virtualy no waste when you use saddle feathers and you can mark the plastic bag with the size range a particular saddle will tie. A good rule of thumb to determine the right barbule length is it should be one and one half times in length of the gape of the hook. If you remember this you will seldom select the wrong hackle.

My day is going pretty good. Just finished a proposal for a complicated Commercial risk that should bring in a nice commission for my agency. But that's not why I do it. I just received an email from a client who was ecstatic about a claims check he received for a claim I recommended he file due to business interruption caused by Superstorm Sandy. That's what brings satisfaction to me, helping others.

Don't bother PM'ing me, I will not sell insurance to members of PAFlyfish.

good job!

Back