Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Delta Caddis Style

I kinda know what delta caddis style wings look like, but I was wondering if anybody has any good resources for tying this. I am going to use this for a crane fly pattern.

BJ

Posted on: 2007/5/24 12:38

Re: Delta Caddis Style

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2007/5/24 13:06

From Monessen, PA
I skimmed the article tom posted and didn't notice this, so I think I'll suggest it: to make the fly wings more durable, when you tie in your first layer of thread, leave a long tag end and wind it under to the tail area and leave an inch or so hanging. When you put the delta wing down, you can then pull the extra length of thread up over the top of the wing to the head and then secure it under the head wrappings.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 13:15

From Chester County
I checked out the photo and article. The delta wing caddis that I know and use once in a while is tied more in a v shape (like the greek symbol delta). It's supposed to represent a spent caddis I believe. The fly pictured is a flat wing caddis adapted by Steve S. from FFP. With the fly pictured, Steve wrote he covered 24 rising trout on Spring and caught 23, the 24th hit and he missed! If Steve said it I believe it.

I've fished both styles and each work in the right time and place and are worth having in your fly box. Lately the hot caddis adult fly for me has been the CDC & Elk. I caught a few on it on Spring Creek this week in tough conditions (low and clear).

Posted on: 2007/5/24 16:58

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I checked out the photo and article. The delta wing caddis that I know and use once in a while is tied more in a v shape (like the greek symbol delta). It's supposed to represent a spent caddis I believe.

You mean this?

Click to see original Image in a new window

"Delta-wing" is used to describe an aircraft design as well, typically a fighter jet:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2007/5/24 17:14

From Greensburg, PA
what size do you tie that bottom one in?

Posted on: 2007/5/24 20:55

From Chester County
That's it! (the first one)

Posted on: 2007/5/25 8:21

The Crane Fly I have the most success with is # 18 hook, sulphur colored dubbing, dun hackle tips and brown or ginger hacle.
This is how you tie it.
#8 orange thread, dub the body and wrap very thin to about 1/3 the hook length from the eye. Tie the dun hackle tips in at the thorax downwing style, now wrap the hackle and tie off the head. Simple fly, but very deadly, and I've used all over the country and had incredible success with it. Don't worry if the wings don't stay on, after 50 or so fish you won't have much left of your fly, but you will still catch fish. I've used for over 15 years and tried variations but none have worked as well.

Posted on: 2007/6/15 12:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com