crippled gordon 004.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3
  • crippled gordon 009.jpg
    crippled gordon 009.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5
  • crippled gordon 010.jpg
    crippled gordon 010.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
Many of my large dry flies are cripples right off the vise! Nice tie.

You mean you tied them on the side of the hook again !!!
Better see Lou....

Very nice ties Sandfly.

Good looking bug. Every time I get cute like that, it helicopters all over the stream until I get tired of retying tippet. Does it spin?

No, i use slightly stiffer tippet. most times tippets spin is from using to light of one or to limp.

Thanks. I usually use stiffer stuff when it happens, but some winging materials seem to spin it regardless.

Anyway, fess up and tell us what the material is. You've posted enough threads to convince us. :)

He has posted the wing matirial: Dyed Raffia

D'oh. I got this one confused with the GD thread. Guessing it's the same material?

Very nice sandy.
Doesn't look like a cripple to me though.

one wing is off enough, I'll do another for ya with a crumpled wing

Just curious how that raffia holds up. Raffia is swis straw right? Most of these wing materials have trouble holding up...look great until fished with.

I don't have a problem but then I cast them softer as a dry should. Most casters cast to hard and then wonder why their wings are torn up. They blame the trout more often than their own casting style. I also lose flies before their time as I don't un snagged prefering to break off. They hold up just as good as a standard quill wing.

I'd still think they would crumble up when a fish eats them...seems to me it would be a one fish and done fly. I think I'd rather have a more druable fly that can catch me a dozen or so fish before its lifespan is over. Still beautiful flies to look at though.

Back