Cress Bug pattern

atlantisboy911

atlantisboy911

I wanted to know what you guys tie up for a cress bug. I have already tied shenks and humphreys version but was looking for somthing else.

Fishidiot kindly gave me some advice but Bill Skilton yarn no longer seems to be available anywhere.

I usually just use a gray scud, but if you need a specific pattern, this one works well..

great pattern, i will definitely try that...

Get some of those match stick lead weights and lash pieces of them to the hook. When you dub over it, it gets a nice, flat cress bug shape.

Thanks Jay, do you not find Scuds and Cress bugs to fish better unweighted? I think they do.

From your idea though I'm going to lash a couple of bits of d rib to the sides to get the profile without the weight.

I tie some unweighted, using other patterns. Most of the time, I prefer the weighted ones, especially if sight fishing or in fast water.

Perhaps you're right, but I like to fish both.

the match stick lead weights are great for tying....you can cut them and get the amount, width and length you want.

Atlantisboy,
This material available through TCO is the same stuff (or very similar) as the Bill Skilton product:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1TCO_Fly_Fishing_Product_DetailViewer.cfm?category=Materials&subcat=Yarns&type=CressBug

I just take a little bit of ostrich herl, died in the color of your preference, palmer it up the hook. Make a shell back out of your preferred material. Done.

Can't argue with the sender approach, either. Ostrich herl is underappreciated.

Thanks Dave , I did look at the TCO yarn, wasn't sure if that was anything similar to the Bill Skilton yarn.

I agree on the ostritch herl. I have lots , don't use it but should!

Ostrich herl is one of my favorite materials.

Who ever posted the video did you a favor. I never caught anything on cressbug imitations before I tied these up. I fish an inchworm all summer as a searcher and I tied this cressbug off the end of the inchworm hook. It out fished the inchworm almost 2 to 1. People who know me know that I catch fish on the inchworm and fish it as my go to fly, so needless to say this fly impressed the hell out of me. It was the fly not the fisherman!

Foxgap what size and colors do you use and have you tried weighted vs unweighted?

I take it you are talking about fishing an inchworm dry not a sunken patern?

Ray Charles

I fish my inchworms on the bottom. I do not weight them. I tie them on size 6 and 8 Tiemco 2457 hooks. I do not weight them and I only fish them late May through October while leaves are still on the trees. I use only dyed neon green honey bug chenille.

Nice pattern! I will be trying these soon.

Nice flies. I will have to tie some up too.

Thanks Fox gap and everyone else for their suggestions.

Back