Crayfish

ian_brown

ian_brown

A stream I like to fish has lots of crayfish in the summer. Does anyone have a link to an effective crayfish pattern?

Clouser crawfish, can't beat it....

Or if you like multi tasking flies...use a tan wooly bugger.

Bead head helps or if you want to go just a little fancier...put dumbbell eyes at the hook's eye end...beadchain or mono eyes at the bend...split the tail... and its a crayfish. Dumbbells will really make it stand up.

And here's a link to the tying instructions for the clouser crafish. Big trout love 'em so get some 3x.
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fly_Tying/clouserCrayfish/clouserCrayfish.html

Just type crayfish patterns and pick for yourself. Over 3000 sites come up with patterns for crayfish. When you pick a pattern make sure you print it out so you have it if you like the pattern.

I had a pattern that I liked out of one the mags, but can't find it now. The bass liked that pattern.

I like the flyfisherman.com pattern archive:
http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/index1.htm

I was trying to find some nice patterns, but for some reason it's timing out.

This is the one i use.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part142.html

Here are the two I tie.

DSC00381.jpg
[/img]

Found that pattern.

SOFT-SHELL CRAYFISH
ByWWRyan
HOOK: #4#8, 2XL.
THREAD: White, brown, or olive monocord.
KEEL: Two strips of lead wire.
UNDERBODY: Fox or rabbit fur mixed with Antron.
CARAPACE: Olive, sandy, gray, or brown bucktail.
CLAWS: Small bunches of fox or rabbit fur with guard hairs.
LEGS: Grouse breast feathers.
CEMENT: Dave's Flexament.
1. Secure two strips of lead on top of the hook shank for the keel (which will keep the hook upside down). Cement and wrap the hook with thread.
2. Flip the hook in the vise (so that it's upside down). Tie in buck tail strands by the tips at the bend of the hook. (Make sure they are long enough to be tied back over the hook with the butt ends extending past the eye.)
3. Dub the cephalothorax of the fly. Tie off, keeping a length of dubbed thread for later use.
4. Tie in fox fur for claws and wind on grouse hackle for legs
5. Wind reserve dubbing from the thorax, crisscrossing the claws and gathering the grouse fibers into bunches. Tie this section fat.
6. Pull the bucktail back over the fly tightly; keeping it spread over the top half of the thorax. Tie it down tightly just past the grouse-hackle legs, and cement the winding. Tie in a strand of monocord (I tie in two in case one breaks). Tie in the dubbed thread and wind it to form the abdomen. Pull the bucktail back and tie it off at the eye. Rib the body tightly with the monocord to create segments, and tie off. Cement the entire bucktail carapace.
7. To finish the fly, use your thumb and forefinger to create a fold in the bucktail over the eye. It should look like the lip on a diving plug, except that it's on top. After you've created a crease in the buck-tail, cement it thoroughly with Flexament. This reverse lip will cause the fly to hop off the bottom (and over obstructions) when it is retrieved. The curved lip also pushes a tiny pocket of water when you twitch the fly, as does the tail of a live crayfish when it scoots off. Finally (this procedure may be the most important), pick out fur to enhance the soft under-body.

What is the best way to fish any of these patterns?

I've only fished them a few times... In runs between islands on the susky. I dead drifted them and stripped them in short bursts along the bottom. Good amount of weight involved.

This is just how it occured to me to fish them, and I didn't exactly set the world on fire by catching a ton... I'm sure there may be a better way.

jayl
sounds about right, you might want to just dead drift like a nymph...sometimes ill add a nymph above it...

Clouser Crayfish . Cast 3/4 upstream and mend,mend,mend. Must be on the bottom , more or less tumbling . Short strips back up

I remember fishing a clouser back down in SE. pa for smallies and sunnys on a local stream..I was letting it drift near a clay bank for sunnys when a Muskie shot out from the under cut, took the fly right off and I think he gave a few fish a heart attack along with me....Never did get him to come out again... :-D :-D

Back