Crab patterns?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I made my first attempt at a crab pattern for my trip to OC MD in August last night. I had a few thoughts that I just put together as I tied. Looked at a few pictures of the blue crabs and it came out OK at best.

Here's what I did.

Took 2 pieces of foam, tan on bottom, darker brown on top. Cut to resemble a shell (yeah I'm NOT an artist). The sides of the shell on the hook are at the eye, and the hook bend due to the way crabs move. I took the dark brown piece of foam and put the hook through it about 3/4 through the foam.

Took the saltwater hook before that and tied on some rubber legs. Then I wanted to tie in some longer blue hair for the claws, but mine wasn't long enough, so that will be fixed next time. I used some hair and tied in 2 clumps to resemble eyes pointing sideways on the hook.

I then took a needle and some 210 thread and sewed the two parts of the shell together around the edge.

I was thinking of some "alternative" methods of using weight the other day (thought of washers, nuts, etc) and decided on using 3 pennies. Figured I can't buy anything for .03, so I might as well just use the pennies. So I put them in between the 2 pieces of foam underneath the hook, so it points up (hopefully). Made the shell more rounded too.

That's it. It looks OK right now, but I'm hopefully gonna tie up a few more and tweak them before I post a few pictures on here.

Anyone have any quick and easy crab patterns for me to try out?

Ryan

Merkin crab. Its easy.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/ftying/patterns/salt/merkin/

May Gfen, you know my style. Quick, easy, and my wife knits/crotches so there's plenty of yarn laying around my house.

I made them out of Plastic Canvas Yarn, poorman's antron. Wicks up water, kinky and holds good shape. Mix up the rows for a mottled look. Named after a whore's pubic mound wig, so its fun to say. Merkin Crab, is good fly.

I tie Merkins with the origanal Aunt Lydias Yarn made with antron, and these for jettys.

Attachments

• crabs 001.jpg
    crabs 001.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 2
  • crabs 002.jpg
    crabs 002.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2
I looked up that picture before I tied mine Sandfly. How do you make the body. Looks like foam, but how is it sealed?

Sandfly,
Is there any weight in the body of the foam crab fly or do you fish it with some sort of sinking line? Heading to Lewes, DE this weekend and I'm looking to add a crab fly of some sort to the box.

I use foam and add dental lead (free from dentist) to the bottom and cover with E-Z shape sparkle body (sand) (fabric paint) Then coat it all with Gellie's clear fabric paint. or softex will work as well.

Ryan,
Good luck with your trip to OC. As for a basic crab pattern, use a dumbell weight to make the fly ride hook up. Any fur and marabou combo that creates a roundish body and that incorporates some movement will do the trick. I always recommend having crabs tied with a mono loop weed guard as you will likely be fishing around aquatic grass or spartina cord grass (good spots for reds, trout etc). While ultrarealistic crabs have their place - and are a favorite of mine for tying - in reality you'll find impressionistic patterns fish better....not to mention being easier to tie. You're not chasing Keys permit in gin clear water here. Aim for function. The pic below shows some of my favorite crab ties I've designed. The furry fellas made with sculpin fur on the right would be ideal for OC. Tie 'em about the size of a silver dollar - note the weed guards.
Happy salt fishin. Soon you'll say, "Steel what?"
:)

Attachments

• Crabs.jpg
    Crabs.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 2
Wow FI, Great looking flies!

Back