cottontail vs. snowshoe

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

i tried using the fur from a cottontail foot as wing material instead of snow show feet fur... looks good but does not perform as well (basically not as buoyant). has anyone had any luck with cottontail feet? i dyed the cottontail foot first so maybe that had something to do with it. maybe i should turn the dogs loose this weekend and try one that has not been soaked in vinegar and nuked!

might be dependent on whether you're using the coarse guard hairs of the softer under fur.

Snowshoe rabbit fur is water resistant due to the fact that they have evolved quite specifically for life in the snow. This is unique to the species and you shouldn't expect to substitute other species of rabbit without sacrificing buoyancy. Other rabbit fur is certainly very useful, but not for dry flies.

cottontail absorbs water unless chemically treated. that's why its good for nymphs and such. any water animal (beaver/muskrat,etc) will be buoyant until it is washed several times and dyed. the stuff you buy in the fly shops has had all the oils washed out and is not as good as some material off the hide.

thanks, you guys are awesome.

Back