Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Coq de leon Spanish flies

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Badger had partridge skins for $15.

Collins' hackle is a fantastic deal, two great dry capes for $10/ea, and a commercial grade for $15. The $10 bargins are as nice as my Whiting silver grade at a fraction of the price, for what I'm doing at least.

I celebrated by tying a handful of size 20 parachutes last night.

I went to the show for the first time and as a new tier I know I needed to pick up hackle, because I did not have any yet. I asked Heritage how much some cost and he said probably the cheapest will be 35 dollars. When we got to Charlie Collins booth, I could not believe the prices were so cheap. I alerted H-A and we quickly went on a rampage of materials. Of course I had no idea what I should be looking for. I just started grabbing things and asking opinions from Gfen and H-A. Well I walked away from the booth with 9 packages for 75 dollars. I was told by H-A, that I made out. Charlie was great because he saw that I was a new tier and told me to come back a little later in the show so he could have some time with me to talk. During our conversation he explained how to get the most out of his hackle and some words of encouragement. Very nice gentleman, and I will probaly buy most of my hackle off of him, the rest of my fly fishing life.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 10:30

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lehigh Valley
Shane - That was just luck. As a general rule of thumb, the difference between the various grades of hackle lies in the quantity and usuable length of feathers of a given size on the neck. You'll be able to tie more flies of a given size with a higher grade cape.

Charlie Collins is well known for his good prices, and if you know what to look for, you can get some good bargains. The capes you got were a FIERY bargain. Charlie screwed up when he skinned some of those capes on the bargain table. He cut off some of the tiniest feathers, and being the nice guy that he is, decided to sell them cheap. They should have been top grade capes. There was still enough of the little stuff to make them a great deal. His little "seminar" on hackle was spot on, too. Free is always cool.

At $10 - $15 per cape, you made out like a bandit - I did too! You're set for years to come. That dark cape I gave you in your "care package" a few weeks back will work just fine for black. We need to get you some moth balls to store them with. If you'd like to do another tying session this weekend, lemme know and I'll bring you some. Another option is to get some flea and tick collars from the dollar store, and cut them up into strips to put in with your materials. I use cedar blocks for the less expensive stuff, as it's easier on you, but they're not as effective as mothballs.

Another thing we should work on is a dedicated tying area. Gotta get that expensive stuff up and out of the way of paws, jaws, and prying little fingers.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:18

Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Another thing we should work on is a dedicated tying area. Gotta get that expensive stuff up and out of the way of paws, jaws, and prying little fingers.

I wish I had more room in my damn house, but until I get rid of my giant black granite table or the kids move out, I just don't have it. The dog has already begun sniffing around my tying supplies, but the kids know better. Well the youngest likes to climb on the giant rubbermaid container, but they have not begun to play cowboy's Indians with feather headdresses yet. Friday is good for me if you would like to come up.

Attach file:

jpg  indian-headpiece.jpg (12.17 KB)
3949_4ceae2a9724d6.jpg 200X276 px

Posted on: 2010/11/22 16:38

From The Hilton
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Another thing we should work on is an effort to make sure that we dont refer to Alpa as "The Lovechild! .

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:08

From SEPA
^
||

Well, that was unexpected.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:18

From The Hilton
I was asked by certain vendor/friend of mine If I was the "the love child" the vendor said something about a guy named Ed and a guy that was motherf****** him about about a reel.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:23

What does Moth*&#^#%#ing about a reel mean?

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:25

From SEPA
HAH!

I, however, don't think I referred to you as Lovechild. Seriously. No recollection. I know you came up, though, in the context of working at that store...which I'm going to have to go to and see if there's anything cheap I care about, which probably isn't the case. I just have to go when Gene's in, I guess.

I was surprised to find out your line of work, though. And surprised. How can you do it without lashing out at these people? Seriously, you have no tolerance for anyone different, or mildly to the left, of your mindset.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:27

From The Hilton
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
What does Moth*&#^#%#ing about a reel mean?

It's a long sad story. That Gfen handled with class, I would killed/broken something. He'll have to tell you about it sometime!

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:32

From The Hilton
Quote:

gfen wrote:
HAH!

I was surprised to find out your line of work, though. And surprised. How can you do it without lashing out at these people? Seriously, you have no tolerance for anyone different, or mildly to the left, of your mindset.

I have to pay the bills some how. I need to find another way to do it soon though the lashing out isnt far I fear.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:35

O the old Able story...Gotcha

Attach file:

jpg  Able reel with scratch.jpg (167.94 KB)
3949_4ceaf0ac1f8b0.jpg 703X600 px

Posted on: 2010/11/22 17:37

From Lehigh Valley
I know nothing about saying to Ben that Alpy was Charlie's love child.

We were just looking for you Alpy, and I asked Ben if you were floating around the show somewhere. Ben said something about you coming to the show with Charlie, and it just went downhill from there.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 18:45

From Eastern PA
Quote:
I have to pay the bills some how. I need to find another way to do it soon though the lashing out isnt far I fear.

Will pay $ to see this. I love this. True human exchange. The entitled POS that has been on your arse for 18 minutes straight about some failure or another gets a blasted, both barrels and waaaaayyyyy exceeding the force needed, just because their dumb ass is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Please video it. I know it will take a lot to do this. Thinking of such things during this fit of rage is tough. But imagine reliving this moment for years to come. Please. Do it right.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 21:39

From Johnstown, PA
You really do get alot of bang for your bucks when you purchase Collins Hackle , in comparison to others the quality far exceeds the price. Is the NJ fly show on now? I thought that was a late winter/early spring thing. If you can access a bunch of Collins necks to look through you can get some beauties for not much money. None of the catalogs i have sell coq de leon except maybe Dan Baileys i can't find that one. Sandfly......do you have any of these feathers in stock?

Posted on: 2010/11/23 7:03

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
going to order next week after I get back from a trip.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 8:02

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com