contemplating getting slotted beads and jig hooks

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Anyone have any input on these. I like the looks of the hooks, and the flies that go with them, just wanted some insight on if you think they are worth it. Heard a few mix reviews on these.

They look like they will pentetrate pretty well. Any insight is appreciated.

Mike, I do not have any experience with the jig hoks. But I do not like the slotted beads. Bought a bunch of them last year. They do not sit well on the hook. Also it seems impossible to happen but I had a few of them come off over the eye of the hook. I would not buy them again. Maybe they would be fine on a jig hook. But I still don't like how they sit.

GC

I use jig hooks and slotted beads occasionally. I do it because it seems like the jig hooks would keep me from snagging on things so often. The slotted beads are completely necessary if you're tying with jig hooks, because the regular ball beads don't go up around the bend at the front of the jig hook.

One other thing that's nice about the slotted beads is that they will fit on a broader range of hooks because of the slot. Sometimes I have trouble fitting a standard bead up over the bend of a standard nymph hook, but the slotted beads will usually go up because of the slot. The downside there is that the beads look a bit more round on the hook, where the standard beads tend to have a flattened side that faces the body of the nymph. That makes it a little more difficult to taper the body nicely into the back of the bead, if that's something that's important to you.

ive used the allen jig hooks with non slotted beads and that seems to work just fine. at least for me.

Slotted beads were made specifically for jig hooks and the 60degree bend at the eye of the hook. I imagine they very well could slide right off the eye of a regular hook if the hook was to small. I tie quite a few flies on these hooks and Jeremy is correct they do snag less and when they do a quick tug upstream and nine times out of ten it's free. I talked with George D. About these and he agrees about that fact. I'll post some pics later tonight right now I'm having fun sanding drywall.

Thanks for the input guys. I am an Allen fan, but they are out of the tungsten slotted beads in the size I need.

IMO jig hooks and slotted beads out preform regular hooks and beads the vast majority of the time. They hold fish better and ride inverted reducing snags. If you are fishing a Euro or Comp style rig with your heaviest fly on the point and lighter fly on the dropper tag, exactly what kid of hook the fly tied on your dropper tag is on, is IMO not very important. So often my dropper flies will be on regular hooks. However, I 95% of the time use a jig hook on the point as it is the fly that is in most constant contact with the bottom. It just plain makes sense.

If you were looking for brands Rip Lips for beads and Hanak or the TMC 403blj hooks are my favorites as they are sharp, don't bend out, and have large gaps. Note on the Hanak hooks, do NOT get the black label Umpqua hooks, they are just plain low quality and have many defects. Get the real deal hooks from performance flies. Hope this helps.

Here are some I use. InTheMend's post makes a lot of sense, I take it you're talking about the hooks that TCO carries? I'm guessing I don't know, so I'm asking.

jigsflies_zps87b477f3.jpg

For the hooks:

http://www.performanceflies.com/product-p/h-400bl.htm

Yes those are the hooks, the 450s are really nice too. Fulling Mill also makes a solid jig hook but the angle of the eye doesn't fit beads as well as the Hanak. Most fly shops across the country that are supplied by umpqua or tiemco carry the "umpqua competition line". They are essentially Hanak hooks made at a lower quality, but sold at a higher price. The larger sizes are not as bad but the 16 jigs are no bueno. That said TCO is an excellent shop, most likely my favorite. Keep in mind this is all opinionated, I would encourage you to get both and see what you think. I also like to support Kevin, awesome guy and store.

Alright, those are the hooks I have. I didn't know that, thanks. I've got sizes 8-16 as it happens I have not gotten to tying on the 16's yet. I've not had an issue as of yet with the others. Once I go through what I have I'll score some from Kevin, I get a pile of stuff from him as it is. He's got more that I want than I can afford, but I'm working on it.

Great topic for posting, and I agree with others in that I believe these will outperform many rigs when fished properly. I have heard from many (including friends I respect) that the jig hooks may possibly injure fish based on where they are hooked, but I haven't experienced this personally.

With that said, here's a recent video I made featuring Allen Fly Fishing jig hooks and disco (faceted) slotted beads from Rip Lips. I recommend both, and the pattern is a great one...

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUYrsIBbyM[/youtube]

Having fished jig hooks for over a year and having many friends that fish them too, I have never heard or noticed any sort of trend in the hooking of trout in a place that would injure the fish. In my experience, and seemingly everyone I know who actually fishes them, they are no more likely to injure a fish then a regular hook.

I just buy 1/80 jigs in the matzo style in 12-8 sizes. never had a problem with them. 14.00 for just beads,I can buy at least 500 of the jigs ready to tie. the pics are standard jig hooks in pics, the matzu's have a better hooking.

Attachments

• rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 001.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
  • rainbow hares ear 017.jpg
    rainbow hares ear 017.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
I must be in the minority or perhaps have not given them a fair shake, but I am not much of a fan of jig hooks. I have tied close to a hundred or so jig style nymphs. They look good, yet I have not developed confidence in them.

This is most likely due to me not fishing them often enough. Seems like I just always reach for the nymphs in which I have confidence. Guess it is a reason to fish more.

That said, "In the Mend" what are your thoughts on the rest of the Umpqua Comp Line? I really like the 200 and the 260. I also really like the Allen 502bl for barbless hooks (just wish they made it in smaller sizes).

Are most of these patterns tied where the fly is the same 260 degrees around. I only ask because if not, wouldn't you have to put your wingcase on the opposite side of the hook? Sort of like how a clouser has to be taken into account for the eyes?

yes you have to tie them inverted

Thanks. I fish some fly projects so the jig heads might not be the best idea ;) never was a fan of that rule. Can anyone elaborate why that is in place? or direct me to a thread that it was covered.

Tigoadog, the other umpqua comp hooks are OK but not as good as the brand Hanak hooks. You can also save some money getting the hooks from performance. If you are looking for a good barbless nymph hook the Hanak H230bl is a great hook along with the Dohiku 302 series.

Back