coloring dry fly hackle with a sharpie

evw659

evw659

Has anybody tried this? Im flying out to Montana in 3 weeks for the first time and I'm trying to tie as many different patterns as possible. The only good dry fly hackle i have is a whiting half cape thats white. I have a prismacolor marker in a color called cool gray(basically just a medium dun color), and it works well, but they're expensive and I'm just wondering if i could get by for the trip only using sharpies, as i have several colors. I've tried a brown sharpie, and it worked okay, but I'm not sure if it will come off after its been wet awhile, or will come off after being in my box awhile. the last thing i want to have happen is having a few dozen drys turn white, so I'm just wondering if anybody has tried this.

thanks,
Evan

I've tried it over the winter with a few grizzly dry hackles and an olive prismacolor. Looked great but washed off within 10-15 minutes of fishing. I have dyed small batches in a mason jar with acid dye and even kool aid, pretty simple to do. The hardest part is getting the colors right.

I tried black sharpie on natural deer hair and found it was dissolved somewhat by aquel floatant

try coloring then dipping in a vinegar and water solution to set the ink. then dry the feathers use a small fan.

sandfly, does that work with sharpies & prismacolors? Is there a certain ratio of vinegar to water that works best?

50/50 should do, no guarantee on either one but should set the color.

If you have not so good hackle in other colors try mixing a feather of the appropriate color (or a bit darker) and a white. You can get some nice effects with this method even using hen hackle.
Mike.

Does the mixture have to be a certain temp? Or just room temp?

Back