Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 2


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2009/4/1 21:52
From Johnstown, PA
Posts: 4460
Offline
Can't post pics but try this one out , use CDC in any downwing dry fly imitation of the wing. For example tie an Elk Hair Caddis and substitute CDC for the elk hair wing. This works real well for caddis , stonefly , any downwing pattern in small sizes especially. When they get waterlogged a shake or two in powder/crystal floatent will bring it back to life.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 7:31


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2009/12/17 20:43
From Souderton PA
Posts: 866
Offline
I think it is funny that every time CDC comes up people will tell you how it floats like a cork, and then immediately tell you to use pixie dust. CDC really doesn’t float that much better than any other material. It has a large surface area relative to its density, so it does float well, but once the fibers get slimed it’s useless. And because of that large surface area, they get slimed much more effectively than a rooster hackle. The dust dries out the slime, but that’s just temporary. The Troth EHC floats just as well, and just needs an occasional false cast to dry it out.
But CDC is a great material and has its place. I do use the CDC and Elk caddis, but here I think you get the full benefit of CDC, and that is lifelike movement. The stray fibers that increase as you wind the CDC feather towards the front of the fly create a leggy chaotic halo on the water that seems to be attractive to fish. I’ve incorporated sparse CDC into ant and beetle patterns to try and get the same sort of effect. The only pattern I like that relies on CDC for floatation is the loop wing emerger. Here I also think that the look of the CDC is important. Trailing fibers create an illusion of movement and the loop catches air and looks shiny and shuck-like. I do wind up replacing these flies often, but they are simple ties and work well enough that it is worth it.
If I ever start a business I want to hire the marketing team behind CDC.
Mike.


Posted on: 2013/3/1 9:48
_________________
Don't Feed The Trolls: http://youtu.be/ulNSlES1Fds


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2007/12/23 14:18
From Richfield, PA
Posts: 292
Offline
CDC is also a pain when its raining. By the time you have it tied on its sopping wet.


That being said, its still probably on 80% of my dries.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 21:00
_________________
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2009/4/1 21:52
From Johnstown, PA
Posts: 4460
Offline
CDC=cul de cannard , french for a ducks a-hole , there is a gland there that excretes stuff that ducks use to preen and waterproof their feathers. Since these feathers are right there where the gland is the get the "stuff" all over them thus making them extra waterproof ..... at least that's the theory. I said i like CDC for tying downwing flies but i also made a point to say especially the small ones. As a wing on a 20 or smaller caddis , stonefly , etc. i think they are not only great floaters but much easier to tie than trying to stack an elk hair wing to fit a #24 fly , and the powder floatant barring something else happening to the fly will keep it floating all day , when a regular EHC gets waterlogged the powder floatant also works great on those too.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 9:25


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2009/12/17 20:43
From Souderton PA
Posts: 866
Offline
Quote:

osprey wrote:
CDC=cul de cannard , french for a ducks a-hole , there is a gland there that excretes stuff that ducks use to preen and waterproof their feathers. Since these feathers are right there where the gland is the get the "stuff" all over them thus making them extra waterproof ..... at least that's the theory. .

Yeah, people will say that, but unless you are pulling the CDC off the duck any preen oil is long gone. The feathers are not waterproof, they just have a very large surface area with all the fibers branching off in a fractal fashion. (As an aside, waterproof does not equal floatation. It is almost all about surface area realtive to density. You can make a boat out of lead afterall).
Here is a nice artitcle by Hans Weilenmann that covers the oil topic and other ins and outs of CDC and also has some nice patterns:
http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying-with-cdc/
I still think it's all marketing,
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 21:40
_________________
Don't Feed The Trolls: http://youtu.be/ulNSlES1Fds


Re: CDC flies
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/11 8:26
From Chester County
Posts: 8868
Offline
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
I think it is funny that every time CDC comes up people will tell you how it floats like a cork, and then immediately tell you to use pixie dust. CDC really doesn’t float that much better than any other material. It has a large surface area relative to its density, so it does float well, but once the fibers get slimed it’s useless. And because of that large surface area, they get slimed much more effectively than a rooster hackle. The dust dries out the slime, but that’s just temporary. The Troth EHC floats just as well, and just needs an occasional false cast to dry it out.
But CDC is a great material and has its place. I do use the CDC and Elk caddis, but here I think you get the full benefit of CDC, and that is lifelike movement. The stray fibers that increase as you wind the CDC feather towards the front of the fly create a leggy chaotic halo on the water that seems to be attractive to fish. I’ve incorporated sparse CDC into ant and beetle patterns to try and get the same sort of effect. The only pattern I like that relies on CDC for floatation is the loop wing emerger. Here I also think that the look of the CDC is important. Trailing fibers create an illusion of movement and the loop catches air and looks shiny and shuck-like. I do wind up replacing these flies often, but they are simple ties and work well enough that it is worth it.
If I ever start a business I want to hire the marketing team behind CDC.
Mike.



Good post. I've reached many of the same conclusions about CDC as FT did, above.

BTW, the CDC and Elk is a great caddis pattern (and can imiate a mayflies too). Very simple to tie using two materials, and it works well.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 9:22


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/3/29 6:56
From Portage, PA
Posts: 1441
Offline
Thanks for the insight.

I think I got exactly what i wanted from this post.

It seems like a great material but a lot of it is hype.

I think i may still add it to my order but not use it as the "answer to my prayers"

Posted on: 2013/3/4 11:35
_________________
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."



Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/3/23 7:50
From Clearville Pa
Posts: 244
Offline
what are u looking for

Posted on: 2013/3/4 11:45


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/11/24 13:19
From Perkasie PA
Posts: 955
Offline
Here's my CDC and Elk Caddis. Tied on a Klinkhammer hook with a hot flash butt. I use Umpqua olive barred CDC. This one is a 12 for photo purposes but I'll tie them down in the 16-18 range and they work great.




Attach file:



jpg  photo.JPG (237.53 KB)
4283_5134d0e2f2904.jpg 992X992 px

Posted on: 2013/3/4 11:50


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2011/1/11 10:30
Posts: 108
Offline
Nice fly DTF.. I am a big fan of the CDC and Elk and also like to tie them with Opal tinsel as an underbody before winding the cdc

Posted on: 2013/3/4 12:48


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2012/1/13 15:28
From Ferguson Twp.
Posts: 2410
Offline
Quote:

dubthethorax wrote:
Here's my CDC and Elk Caddis. Tied on a Klinkhammer hook with a hot flash butt. I use Umpqua olive barred CDC. This one is a 12 for photo purposes but I'll tie them down in the 16-18 range and they work great.




Dub, nice fly! I like it, yep gonna tie it. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:25
_________________
There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul...


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/11/24 13:19
From Perkasie PA
Posts: 955
Offline
thanks guys

Posted on: 2013/3/7 13:01
_________________
DUBTHETHORAX.COM


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/6/23 12:43
From Hershey
Posts: 402
Offline
Here is what I've been working on. Marc Petitjean style

Attach file:



jpg  image.jpg (808.68 KB)
3932_513bc79cc9d6d.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 2013/3/9 18:37


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2010/6/23 12:43
From Hershey
Posts: 402
Offline
Whoops, Not sure why its sideways??

Posted on: 2013/3/9 18:38


Re: CDC flies

Joined:
2012/1/13 15:28
From Ferguson Twp.
Posts: 2410
Offline
Nice, I like that tie. And they fish very well.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 19:30
_________________
There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul...



« 1 2



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com