CDC flies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Pleas post up pics and possible recipes for these flies. I am looking to tie more with this material as well.

Cdc Pupa
Abdoman:working thread
Body, wingcase, and thorax: Bundled cdc barbs.
Size shown:18
cdcpupa_zps7d6e9416.jpg

Drifting midge pupa
Size shown:22
Body:stripped peacock herl
Collar: Bright red cdc dubbing
Pupal case:pheasant tail barbs
Breathing plume and Anal brush:cdc
driftinmidgepupa_zpsd9b92a60.jpg

cdc and elk.

wrap body with cdc feather. Add elk hair wing. finished.

Mike,
Do you use snow shoe hair? I have found it floats much better but is a little harder to work with. With the emergers I understand the cdc traps bubbles and gives a great profile but I have the hardest time keeping them afloat especially after a fish has been caught. Last season I stuck with mostly cdc emergers and loop wings so Im curious to see if the snow shoes produce about the same number of fish.

I do not use it but i can check on hairline to see if they supply it. I may buy some to try out

67f091af-c12e-4377-bb2e-31be959d1fca_zps116fb490.jpg
[/url][/img]

Mole Fly
2487 #16-20
Brown Beaver Dubbing
Olive CDC
Gray thread

cdc+snow shoe=more roosters live!

cdc and elk

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

pretty much works everywhere I have tried it

If you are using CDC I'd say using Frogg's Fanny is a must. Keeps the fly riding high and dries it out if it gets waterlogged or slimy.

studiomule wrote:
If you are using CDC I'd say using Frogg's Fanny is a must. Keeps the fly riding high and dries it out if it gets waterlogged or slimy.

Also Teimco Dry Magic.

Another vote for CDC and Elk...cheap materials, easy to tie, very effective.

So that's a mole fly, pretty cool.

real easy to tie too!! lets hope they produce like they say they will!!

Can't post pics but try this one out , use CDC in any downwing dry fly imitation of the wing. For example tie an Elk Hair Caddis and substitute CDC for the elk hair wing. This works real well for caddis , stonefly , any downwing pattern in small sizes especially. When they get waterlogged a shake or two in powder/crystal floatent will bring it back to life.

I think it is funny that every time CDC comes up people will tell you how it floats like a cork, and then immediately tell you to use pixie dust. CDC really doesn’t float that much better than any other material. It has a large surface area relative to its density, so it does float well, but once the fibers get slimed it’s useless. And because of that large surface area, they get slimed much more effectively than a rooster hackle. The dust dries out the slime, but that’s just temporary. The Troth EHC floats just as well, and just needs an occasional false cast to dry it out.
But CDC is a great material and has its place. I do use the CDC and Elk caddis, but here I think you get the full benefit of CDC, and that is lifelike movement. The stray fibers that increase as you wind the CDC feather towards the front of the fly create a leggy chaotic halo on the water that seems to be attractive to fish. I’ve incorporated sparse CDC into ant and beetle patterns to try and get the same sort of effect. The only pattern I like that relies on CDC for floatation is the loop wing emerger. Here I also think that the look of the CDC is important. Trailing fibers create an illusion of movement and the loop catches air and looks shiny and shuck-like. I do wind up replacing these flies often, but they are simple ties and work well enough that it is worth it.
If I ever start a business I want to hire the marketing team behind CDC.
Mike.

CDC is also a pain when its raining. By the time you have it tied on its sopping wet.

That being said, its still probably on 80% of my dries.

CDC=cul de cannard , french for a ducks ****** , there is a gland there that excretes stuff that ducks use to preen and waterproof their feathers. Since these feathers are right there where the gland is the get the "stuff" all over them thus making them extra waterproof ..... at least that's the theory. I said i like CDC for tying downwing flies but i also made a point to say especially the small ones. As a wing on a 20 or smaller caddis , stonefly , etc. i think they are not only great floaters but much easier to tie than trying to stack an elk hair wing to fit a #24 fly , and the powder floatant barring something else happening to the fly will keep it floating all day , when a regular EHC gets waterlogged the powder floatant also works great on those too.

osprey wrote:
CDC=cul de cannard , french for a ducks ****** , there is a gland there that excretes stuff that ducks use to preen and waterproof their feathers. Since these feathers are right there where the gland is the get the "stuff" all over them thus making them extra waterproof ..... at least that's the theory. .
Yeah, people will say that, but unless you are pulling the CDC off the duck any preen oil is long gone. The feathers are not waterproof, they just have a very large surface area with all the fibers branching off in a fractal fashion. (As an aside, waterproof does not equal floatation. It is almost all about surface area realtive to density. You can make a boat out of lead afterall).
Here is a nice artitcle by Hans Weilenmann that covers the oil topic and other ins and outs of CDC and also has some nice patterns:
http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying-with-cdc/
I still think it's all marketing,
Mike.

Back