cdc comparadun

chstrcntyfish

chstrcntyfish

I was just wondering how/if any of you tied cdc comparaduns. I tied a few size 20 LBWO's and I followed this pattern...

DSC08921.JPG

I also saw this on google though... It has mallard flank with the cdc.
http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/dry/cdccomparadun.shtml

Now im wondering because mine does not have much of a wing on it since the recipe says only one feather for 20's. It is kind of thin looking. I haven't fished it yet though. I might post a picture of it later.

Edit: first link doesn't want to work so I will just try and put the picture from it.

Tie some of both. The sparse ties will float lower. Both have their place.

For a fly that I call the Rat Fink in honor of Al Miller's Al's Rat, whom I stole it from, I use only a little CDC, but that's a sz. 22 or 24 hook in an emerger pattern. If you want a CDC fly to float and then float AFTER you catch a fish, you'll want to use more CDC. I pick a lot off the lower parts of the CDC quill and tie that in AFTER I tie in one or two feather tips for the front of the wing. Now, that's for an 18 fly, but a 20 isn't much different. You'll want more CDC than that and more of a tail. I fish BWO's in Spring Creek now only, essentially, and that is bouncy water, so I need more floatation. I learned that using the fibers along with the quill at the tip will make a better floating fly.

Syl

Sylvaneous, can you post a pic?

Back