Cased Caddis Pattern?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm looking for a cased caddis pattern. I'm a decent tyer, but don't want anything too complicated. I'd like to be able to get through a tie pretty quickly and move on. Any help is appreciated!

Ryan

I don't have any photos of the fly, but Sandfly has a great one tied from pheasant tail that I began using with some success. Maybe he'll post a pic.

You can probably figure this one out without a recipe...

Attachments

• peeking caddis.jpg
    peeking caddis.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 4
I like to vary the color of the case, depending on the color of the naturals.

I basically tie tom's pattern with different colors of dubbing (or herl) for the case.

I went back and found Sandy's cased caddis. Great pattern!

I tie in lead wire and taper it, wind it with pheasant tail and rib with copper or black wire to hold it together. The head is just some dubbing and partridge.

Attachments

• Sandy's Cased Caddis.jpg
    Sandy's Cased Caddis.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 6
I like it! Gonna tie up a bunch of those for the grannoms here in 2 months. What size hook do you guys use? Looks like atleast an xl hook in the pic.

I tie one like sandy using turkey tail as the case.

I also tie two versions using the actual case: one the stick version, and the other the wood-pulp version (like the one in the middle of sandfly's two flies).

If I can't find any cases, I simply extract the caddis from the inside of one using a small stream-side twig.

I then coat the cases in spray adhesive.

Doesn't get much easier than just sliding a case over the hook and then adding legs and a dubbing ball.

I have seen them in the streams but what would be the best way to fish them ?

Afish's pattern with the pheasant tail case is super easy to tie and very effective, however, I've found more success, closer to hatch times with the all green caddis pupa - I guess the trout would rather have the meat without the sticks and leaves getting in the way!...:)

Here is a easy pattern to tie.
http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5148.html

Take a look. :)

I tie that one for the grannom's in 12 to 16 2xl. I also do a stick caddis and a stone cased caddis using hackle.have to look for pics.

here is stone caddis

Attachments

• DSCN6155_thumb.jpg
    DSCN6155_thumb.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
and the stick caddis

Attachments

• stick caddis.jpg
    stick caddis.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 5
i wonder if epoxying some kitty litter to a hook would do minus the blue specks then after it dries tie the head and legs on

i was gonna say , a size 8 2xl for a grannom caddis .. woooow ! those would almost be the size of jayL's small wooly buggers lmao . the bright green ice dub on a size 16 , with a thin skin like scud back on it. works ok ....

I took some grannom cases home to check the size and below is a photo from Troutnut. The case alone is larger than the shank of a size 12 hook. The uncased larva alone, without the case is a size 16. Adding the dubbing and legs, a size 10 nymph hook is just about right, IMO.

Attachments

• Grannom case.jpg
    Grannom case.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Grannom larva.jpg
    Grannom larva.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Grannom cased fly.jpg
    Grannom cased fly.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 4
Check out this pattern
http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/fly-tying/cased_caddis.htm

Ry- I would be interested to see if you have success with this pattern.

Anyone have success with this?

Would not doubt it- just have never used the pattern. I have had success with green BH larva pattern though- hesitant to change off that pattern but maybe I am missing out on even more hookups.

Back