Caddis pupae

E

Eccles

Hi all.
I am after some ideas for a caddis pupae pattern. I used to fish nymphs a lot - classic upstream type and shortlining for grayling (obviously not in this country) but think I fished the method out of my system and now rarely nymph fish - get bored with it very quickly. Despite that I was out the other day with a few fish slashing at a few caddis and I thought it would be nice to put a pupae on (probably what the fish were really concentrating on), grease the line to within a couple of feet and relive the old days. Then I realised my very small nymph box had nothing even close, full as it is of a few simple PTNs, shrimps and HEs. I could just adapt a Hare's ear I suppose but it is nice to fish with something that is meant to be a pupae rather than a generic fly for all seasons.
Anyway that's the background. What I am after are some ideas for a caddis pupae pattern. Must be relatively simple as I am a fairly functional fly tyer (i.e. not very good) and endlessly replaceable so made with easy to obtain materials (my casting ability will get through them quickly even if the fish don't).
Have you guys got any suggestions to help me narrow down the plethora of patterns out there?
Many thanks in advance
Eccles

simple softhackle with a dark and large head will do. very fast to tie.
the bubble sparkle pupae are overrated and a pain to get the bubble right (shape and density)
just my two cents

The softhackle can be fished on the surface too when greased

Thanks for that nymphingmaniac, good suggestion. Although I wonder if there is a proper pupae imitation that is simple and quick to tie rather than an adapted soft hackle. I have plenty of spiders (love the style) and it would just end up in the box with them, larger head or not, rather than as a pupal imitation in its own right.

As for the sparkle pupae, well, once I had read about the pattern my first thought was, where does the natural get the air from in its transition from larvae to pupae? Popular and effective as it undoubtedly is this completely arbitrary thought meant I have never really bought into the design.
cheers
Eccles

I have no issues with just using beefed-up soft hackles as caddis pupae, I've been using them in that role for the last three years, just as effective as a specific pupa imitation, and a lot faster to tie, at least for me.

One of my most productive patterns is an adaptation of Mercers Z-wing caddis. I use a bead head, but it is just a tapered body on a 2457 type (scud or caddis hook), short stubby wings of Z-lon or Antron, and a furry head, usually dark. Synthetic peacock works well for the head as does Chocalate Lab fur. Tan body and ginger wings is my favorite, but you can do any variation you want, and it is an easy tie. I rarely get bored with fishing it providing I can find interesting water to fish it in. BTW, I often follow it with a smaller soft hackle.

Back