Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Butter Worm

From Lehigh Valley
Well played.

So, how work intensive is the thread furling process? Quick and painless as a dubbing loop or involved like a weave?

Posted on: 2010/12/15 16:07

From SE Pa.
Please post how you do it ,so I can steal it !!!!lol

Posted on: 2010/12/15 19:07

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
there is no weaving in it, just a way to twist and furl.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 7:29

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Johnstown, PA
Sandfly..........I always thought that what the locals here call "Waterworms" were the larval stage of the Cranefly they look similar but not exactly like the pic you posted. When i say not exactly I mean the color here is more green/grey drab and the sea cucumber looking head on the pic is not as pronounced although it is easy to tell which end is the head. This has me confused and wanting to know if you could post a picture of the adult stage Beetle that comes from the Butterworm?

Posted on: 2010/12/16 8:26

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Osprey, Butterworms come from South America. The fish around here will never see and beetle that derives from a butterworm.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:26

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Bozeman
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
Osprey, Butterworms come from South America.

You're like the gary lafontaine of bait fishing.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:31

From Johnstown, PA
OK I get it.......I think , the butterworm is like a wax worm or meal worm not really an aquatic insect? Or do you mean it is an aquatic just not a local? I'm pretty sure what we call Waterworms are Cranefly larva and the thing is they DO get as big as hellgramites and are kind of the same color , as hellgramites , a little lighter and a little drab green in there.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:38

Quote:

jayL wrote:
Quote:

LRSABecker wrote:
Osprey, Butterworms come from South America.

You're like the gary lafontaine of bait fishing.

HAha, when you spend so much on the little bastards you start investigating why they cost so much and see if you can get them cheaper. The actually come from Chile. I thought about trying to raise them myself, but I learned they spray them before shipping. This stops their ability to reproduce.

Osprey...They are grubs that live on land. They are not water insects.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:45

From Bozeman
You could always plant corn in the yard...

The butterworm broke onto the scene toward the end of my bait fishing days. I used them a few times, and they were absolutely killer.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:48

Nothing works as good as a butterworm for trout. Well everybody has their favorite bait, But I would annihilate fish with them so I say they are the best.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:51

From Bozeman
I always did best on single kernels of corn or small balls of bread (occasionally with a little vanilla extract) on a size 14 hook. No split shot when possible.

About half my time with the spinning rod back then was spent throwing niti-1 trout killers. These days, 100% of my one day/year with the UL spinning rod is spent throwing the killer because none of my fly tying hooks are "baitholder", and I'm too lazy to buy some.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 9:54

Yea, Luckily every year I would buy hooks before the first day only to find out that I had a bunch left from the year before. So, I have a nice collection of baithooks. I never used corn. I mean I would carry it, but just never seemed to need it. Same with bread. I would always carry it, but just could not pull myself away from spinning minnows or drifting butters. I would almost never use lures on stocked creeks. I would use them on the Lehigh alot more.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:06

From Bozeman
All of my bait 50+ fish days came on corn or the trout killer. If you still spin/bait fish a lot, give it a shot.

I have used the killer with great success on wild trout streams too, but I would much rather fly fish them. Also, I can't get the things to swim correctly when I replace the treble hook with a single. If I can figure that part out, I'm going to go franktroutangler on the spring creek trout and go for 100 in a day.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:13

I highly doubt I will bait fish much anymore. Sure the first couple days of the season I might, but after that I think I will be done. Can't believe I actually just said that.

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:16

From Johnstown, PA
Sandfly..........I kinda feel like I've been Jackaloped. Or was it a snipe hunt?

Posted on: 2010/12/16 10:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com